• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

I never learned English in the school

Something is bugging me... If I say that I never learned English in the school, does that mean that I had Englsih in the school, but I was to stupid to learn it, or it means that I did not have English classes in the school at all, but maybe German, or Russian (which was usual in our country)?
    I'm not an English teacher. English is not my native language. Feel free to correct any sentence I write, regardless of the topic. It's a great way of learning and practicing English. Thank you!

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: I never learned English in the school

Quote Originally Posted by lupicatulum View Post
    Something is bugging me. If I say that I never learned English in the school, does that mean that I had English in the school, but I was too stupid to learn it,
    If you're talking about a specific school, use "in the/that school"; otherwise, use "at school."
    No, I would take it to mean that you did not study English.

or does it mean that I did not have English classes in the school at all, but maybe German, or Russian (which was usual in our country)?
    It says nothing about studying other languages.

3. Junior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    If you're talking about a specific school, use "in the/that school"; otherwise, use "at school."
    No, I would take it to mean that you did not study English.
    At school. Good to know. Thank you.

It says nothing about studying other languages.
    I know, but does that mean that I didn't have English at school? Or is it left to the reader to wonder?
    I'm not an English teacher. English is not my native language. Feel free to correct any sentence I write, regardless of the topic. It's a great way of learning and practicing English. Thank you!

4. Junior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Actually, I see now that study is underlined. So I guess my sentence does not cover everything I want to say.

So, all the people from my past thinks I'm a failure. Shhhhame!
    Last edited by lupicatulum; 03-Mar-2017 at 13:46.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Something is bugging me: If I say that I never learned English in school, does that mean that I had English in school but I was too stupid to learn it, or does it mean that I did not have English classes in school at all, but maybe German, or Russian (which was usual in our country)?
    It means what it says: You didn't learn English in school. Maybe you learned it somewhere else. Maybe you flunked your courses. Maybe you never studied it. Maybe you grew up in an English-speaking country and already knew the language when you started school. All we know is that you didn't learn it in school.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Mar-2017 at 08:32. Reason: Fixed minor typo
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

If you want to say that your lessons were a waste of time, you could say that you never learned anything in your English classes in school.

7. Junior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    If you want to say that your lessons were a waste of time, you could say that you never learned anything in your English classes in school.

I could say that about German classes.

The point is that you cannot learn a foreign languge just by having 2 x 45 minutes of classes per week. It really is a vaste of time. If you don't have an oportunitiy to listen, talk, write and practice the language at least two hours a day, it's just like having a gym class 2 x 45 minutes per week. Waste of time. You do learn something, but...

And I don't mean to listen, talk, write and practice by your self in your study room. I mean with native speakers of that languge.
    Last edited by lupicatulum; 05-Mar-2017 at 13:14.

8. Junior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    It means what it says: You didn't learn English in school. Maybe you learned it somewhere else. Maybe you flunked your courses. Maybe you never studied it. Maybe you grew up in an English-speaking country and already knew the language when you started school. All we know is that you didn't learn it in school.
    My question now might sound stupid or ignorant but I have to ask it. When I say "learned", that is finished form of the verb, and if I'd want to use unfinished form of the verb (I'm not sure is "un/finished" corect terminology), then I'd use "have been learning". Is this correct so far? Now, in my language, if I use finished verb in this sentence (like I did in the title of the thread), that would mean that for SOME reason I got out of the school without learning English. If this is correct, then I have been using the wrong sentence all the time. If I'd want to say that I had no English classes at school at all, then the best sentence might be "I have never been learning English at school". In my language. Does that sentence has the same meaning in English?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

I have been using the wrong sentence all the time. If I want to say that I had no English classes at school at all, then the best sentence might be "I have never been learning English at school".
    No. Try:
    I did not study/take English at school.
    lupicatulum, slow down a little! It's much better if you write shorter posts and focus on one point at a time. Wait for some responses, and see if you understand what we're saying.

By the way, it's "waste" not "vaste" in post #7 above. "Vaste" is not a word in English; "vast" is a word, but that means a completely different thing.

10. Junior Member
    Teacher (Other)
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    No. Try:
    I did not study/take English at school.
    lupicatulum, slow down a little! It's much better if you write shorter posts and focus on one point at a time. Wait for some responses, and see if you understand what we're saying.
    Ok, I'll slow down... But just a bit!

By the way, it's "waste" not "vaste" in post #7 above. "Vaste" is not a word in English; "vast" is a word, but that means a completely different thing.
    Thank you. I know that, but it's not yet in my finger mucle memory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last