• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

incorrect option

The Headmaster ___________ to speak to you. Which of the following options is INCORRECT to complete the above sentence?
    (A) is wanting
    (B) wants
    (C) want
    (D) was wanting

According to my knowledge, i guessed that the only CORRECT option is "wants"...
    But answer given is "wants" and in some other sites "want" ....what is the problem with these words here?
    This is a single option correct question and i dont have the official answer key ... pls help
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 04-Mar-2017 at 08:34. Reason: Enlarged font to make post readable

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: incorrect option

Quote Originally Posted by matrixone View Post
    The headmaster ___________ to speak to you. Which of the following options is INCORRECT to complete the above sentence?
    (A) is wanting
    (B) wants
    (C) want
    (D) was wanting

According to my knowledge, I guessed that the only CORRECT option is "wants" but the answer given is "wants" and in on some other sites "want". What is the problem with these words here?
    This is a "single option is correct" question and I don't have the official answer key. pls Please help.
    First, see my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I".

It's a strange question and, in my opinion, a poor question. The obvious correct word for that sentence is "wants". The absolutely incorrect word is "want" because it's a plural verb so it can't follow the singular noun "The headmaster". However, as you said, they are suggesting that only one word is incorrect. Some variants of English use the continuous form much more regularly than others. On that basis, some people will say that "is wanting" and "was wanting" are both possible.

Where did you find this question?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Smile Re: incorrect option

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    First, see my corrections above. It's important to follow these rules of written English:

It's a strange question and, in my opinion, a poor question. The obvious correct word for that sentence is "wants". The absolutely incorrect word is "want" because it's a plural verb so it can't follow the singular noun "The headmaster". However, as you said, they are suggesting that only one word is incorrect. Some variants of English use the continuous form much more regularly than others. On that basis, some people will say that "is wanting" and "was wanting" are both possible.

Thanks
    And a lot more thanks for those corrections.
    I got this question from an entrance exam for Masters Programs (Engineering).I have a few more questions like this.Should I start a new thread or can I continue here ?
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Mar-2017 at 12:07. Reason: Deleting 'Sir'.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Malayalam
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

I have a problem with your answer. You are saying "want" is a plural verb. but according to this reference , "wants" is the plural of "want". Thus I think the answer should be "wants".
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Mar-2017 at 12:06. Reason: Deleting 'Sir'.

5. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Please stop addressing responders as 'Sir'. You cannot assume that everybody here is male.

'Wants' is the plural of the noun 'want'. Here 'wants' and 'wants' are verbs, so it's 'The headmaster wants' or 'headmasters want'.

Start a new thread for unrelated questions, with a title which includes words or phrases you are asking about. A better title for this thread would have been 'The headmaster _____ to speak to you.'

6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I agree that it's a poor question, as the continuous forms are much less likely than the present. However, in my variety of English, every answer except C is possible.
    I am not a teacher.