[Grammar] Any suggestion otherwise is simply false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagoo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Any suggestion otherwise is simply false.

The word "otherwise" can be used as an adverb or an adjective.

So in the sentence mentioned above, is "otherwise" an adverb to modify "is" or an adjective to "suggestion" ?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I consider it an adverb modifying 'suggestion'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why do you think that it's an adverb there?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Interesting question.

I think it's an adverbial. Used here, it seems to be synonymous with something like to the contrary. If so, then the question for me is what it's modifying.

Could we understand it as modifying an implied verb?

Any suggestion [made] otherwise...

I can't make sense of it as an adjective: an otherwise suggestion doesn't seem right, does it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, English does have a number of postpositive adjectives.

Yes, quite. Thanks for the link. But for me, otherwise cannot be an adjective, whether it is postpositive or otherwise.

In my sentence above, too, I believe the word appears to be an adjective, but in fact is functioning adverbially, to modify the verb be.

If we use otherwise to say, generally, 'in another way', then it must be adverbial.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What does otherwise modify in "Any suggestion otherwise is simply false? It means something like 'of something else, of a different type' . We could rephrase the sentence wordily as Any suggestion that suggests something other than what has previously been suggested' is false. This suggests to me that it is modifying 'suggestion', and must be an adjective.

. I cannot see it modifying the verb.

Yes, I see your point. I find this a very interesting question. I agree that rephrasing can often shed light in cases like this.

I'm not sure this is particularly illuminating but the final part of the phrase ...is simply false suggests to me that a good rephrasing would be to the contrary. Not so much "that suggests something other than...", as you say, as 'that suggests something in opposition to...', which is slightly different.

To take this a bit further, if we take as an example the phrase the woman in black.

Is in black a postpositive adjective modifying the noun the woman?

Or is the whole phrase a reduced articulation of the woman [who is dressed] in black, where in black modifies the implied verb dressed?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If it is modifying a noun, it must be an adjective.
Would you consider 'below' an adjective in 'the sentence below', where it is modifying a noun?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, it modifies suggestion, not the verb or the sentence. It is similar to any different suggestion, not [strike]any differently suggestion[/strike]. It's a predicative adjective to me, though there's always room for debate.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
However, I am going to have to admit defeat now. I think 'otherwise' is an adverb, but I cannot come up with a convincing argument for this.

The longer you stare into the grammatical abyss....

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I found a similar example: 'Students today seem to know very little about geography'──quoted from Longman, where 'today' is an adverb.

I am going to have to admit defeat now.
I have seen it for the first time.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If it's of any interest to anybody, here is my understanding of the essential difference between adjectives and adverbs. I'd welcome any comments at all.

Both adjectives and adverbs are ways of describing. They modify by description. Adjectives modify nouns, signifying properties/attributes of things:

The sky is blue.
The chair is soft.

Adverbs modify verbs (events), describing a way of doing/happening.

Open it carefully.
It's snowing heavily.

Of course, adverbs can also modify the verb BE. In this case, they describe a way of being/existing. So in the example

I'm there now.

both there and now describe a way of existing in space and in time (what in ontology can be called the 'ontic properties') of the subject.

Interestingly, adverbs may also modify adjectives,

It's really good.

where they can be understood to describe the ways of having properties.

Based on the above, it's hard for me to understand otherwise as a property of anything. It seems to me to be a way of being (different), and therefore adverbial.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think given that "otherwise" can act as a predicative adjective, I don't see why we should reject it as a postpositive adjective in this case.

I don't think there's a clear-cut answer to this. At first, I was leaning towards the adverbial interpretation. The -tion in "suggestion" led me down that road. But then I considered "any claim otherwise is false" and I was back to square one.

Another comment: "other" is close enough to "otherwise", so we can read "suggestion otherwise" as "other suggestion". That would tend to support the adjective camp.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think given that "otherwise" can act as a predicative adjective, I don't see why we should reject it as a postpositive adjective in this case.

We don't all agree that it can.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Status