• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Articles

Hello. I have a question about the use of articles before of-phrases. I have read, that if we can change the noun in an of-phrase on a verb+ing, than there is no article before the phrase (like "growth of the economy - the economy is growing"). But I have read the following sentence: "The financial position of the company remains stable". I think, we can rephrase that sentence as "the company is positioning". The action is incomplete, so the definite article sholdn't be used here. Could you explain, please?

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Articles

Quote Originally Posted by AZMS View Post
    I have read, that if we can change the noun in an of-phrase on a verb+ing, than there is no article before the phrase (like "growth of the economy - the economy is growing").
    Where did you read that? Whether or not we use a definite artcle before a noun phrase depends on other things than the preposition following it.
    But I have read the following sentence: "The financial position of the company remains stable". I think, we can rephrase that sentence as "the company is positioning".
    We can't.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
    Where did you read that? Whether or not we use a definite artcle before a noun phrase depends on other things than the preposition following it.
    We can't.
    In another forum. I'm a little confused confused with the use of articles before such phrases. For example "The financial position of the company has improved". On the one hand, we refer to the concrete company and company can't have "some other financial positions". But on the other hand, I think we refer to the overall financial position of the company, not to the concrete period. Maybe this is incorrect thinking. As I'm not a native speaker, I would like to find some rules here.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In another forum. I'm a little confused confused with the use of articles before such phrases. For example "The financial position of the company has improved". On the one hand, we refer to the concrete company, and the/a company can't have "some other financial positions".

Why can't a company have other financial positions? Can you clarify?

But on the other hand, I think we refer to the overall financial position of the company, not to the concrete period.

Concrete period? I don't understand that, either.

Maybe this is incorrect thinking. As I'm not a native speaker, I would like to find some rules here.
    Just pay attention to how people use them. No rules cover every situation. Why do we say a cold but the flu but pneumonia? It doesn't matter. We just do.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

On the one hand, we refer to the concrete company and company can't have "some other financial positions".
    Yes, that's correct. That's why the "the" is used.

But on the other hand, I think we refer to the overall financial position of the company, not to the concrete period. Maybe this is incorrect thinking.
    I don't follow you, but I'm fairly confident that's incorrect thinking, yes.