• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Please help correct my composition.

The following is my writing practise, please help me correct it. Many thanks.

My most special experiences

Two years ago, I went to Beijing with my parents by plane. I had great time in Beijing. I done lots of things in Beijing. We went to the Beijing Teahouse. We have seen the Beijing Opera. It sounds nice but I can’t understand it well. I also have climbed The Great Wall, it’s so wonderful. I can’t forget it.I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has very long history and it beautiful. I ate the roast duck on last day, it tastes delicious.
    Beijing is so pretty, I will never forget it.
    Last edited by bigsky888; 05-Mar-2017 at 23:35.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Please help correct my composition.

The first thing you need to do is click on "Edit Post" and add a space after every comma and every full stop. Remember to click "Save" afterwards.
    Also, look at "tow", "tings", "ha" and "rosk" - they are all misspellings. I think "Place" is probably a misspelling too.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

The following is my writing practise, please help me correct it. Many thanks.

Two years ago, I went to Beijing with my parents by plane. I had great time in Beijing. I done lots of things in Beijing. We went to the Beijing Teahouse. We have seen the Beijing Opera. It sounds nice but I can’t understand it well. I also have climbed The Great Wall, it’s so wonderful. I can’t forget it.I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has very long history and it beautiful. I ate the roast duck on last day, it tastes delicious.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bigsky888 View Post
    The following is my writing practice. Please help me by correcting it. Many thanks.

Two years ago, I went flew to Beijing with my parents. by plane. I had a great time in Beijing. I done did lots of things in Beijing there. We went to the Beijing Teahouse. We have seen and the Beijing Opera. It The opera sounded nice but I canít couldn't understand it well. I also have climbed The Great Wall; itís so wonderful. I canít will never forget it. I visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is beautiful. I ate the roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.
    See my corrections above. Because you are a beginner, it is OK to write short sentences like this. As you learn more about English, you will learn to write longer, more fluid sentences.

You need to concentrate on your use of articles ("a", "an" and "the") and your use of different tenses.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    See my corrections above. Because you are a beginner, it is OK to write short sentences like this. As you learn more about English, you will learn to write longer, more fluid sentences.

You need to concentrate on your use of articles ("a", "an" and "the") and your use of different tenses.
    Thank you very much, emsr2d2. I want to use not only the simple past tense but also the present perfect tense. So, please let me have a try and help me by correcting it.

Two years ago, I went flew to Beijing with my parents. by plane. I had a great time in Beijing. I have done lots of things in Beijing there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. It The opera sounded nice but I can’t couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I can’t will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I ate the roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.
    Beijing is so pretty, I hope I can go there again one day.
    Last edited by bigsky888; 06-Mar-2017 at 12:54.

6. Key Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

You say you went to Beijing two years ago and you describe what you did during the trip. The present perfect tense should not be used.

I would use a semi-colon instead of a comma in the last sentence.
    I am not a teacher or a native speaker.

7. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post
    You say you went to Beijing two years ago and you describe what you did during the trip. The present perfect tense should not be used.

Can I write like this:

I’m having a good time in China. I arrived in Beijing two days ago. I have done lots of things in Beijing there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. It The opera sounded nice but I can’t couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I can’t will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I ate the roast duck on the last day; it tasted delicious.
    Beijing is so pretty;I will never forget it.

8. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by tedmc View Post

Can I write this:

I’m having a good time in China. I arrived in Beijing two days ago. I have done lots of things there. We have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And we have seen the Beijing Opera. The opera sounded nice but I couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I have eaten roast duck; it tasted delicious.
    Beijing is so pretty; I hope I can go there again.

9. Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

If you want to practise the present perfect tense when you are talking about your life experiences in Beijing, you can write like this:

I am having a great time in China. I have done a lot of things in Beijing. I have been to the Beijing Teahouse. It looks ancient but beautiful. And I have seen the Beijing Opera. The opera sounded nice but I couldn't understand it well. I have also climbed the Great Wall; it’s so wonderful. I will never forget it. I have visited the Palace Museum as well. It has a very long history and it is huge. I have eaten the roast duck; it tasted delicious.
    Beijing is so pretty; I hope I can go there again one day.
    Last edited by rodgers white; 06-Mar-2017 at 14:48.