Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi!

I've encountered a word "Mungerism" while reading a text. I've tried finding out the meaning in some dictionaries and I get failed.

Here is context.

At Berkshire, we, too, crave efficiency and detest bureaucracy. To achieve our goals, however, we follow
an approach emphasizing avoidance of bloat, buying businesses such as PCC that have long been run by
cost-conscious and efficient managers. After the purchase, our role is simply to create an environment in
which these CEOs – and their eventual successors, who typically are like-minded – can maximize both
their managerial effectiveness and the pleasure they derive from their jobs. (With this hands-off style, I am
heeding a well-known Mungerism: “If you want to guarantee yourself a lifetime of misery, be sure to
marry someone with the intent of changing their behavior.”)

Thank's for your answers.:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the original makes sense with "their". If you marry someone, and your intention is to change them, you are probably going to have a miserable time. There is no point spending your marriage trying to change your partner (or trying to change anyone at all, for that matter).

andrew495

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks a lot, I think I got the meaning, by your answers.

It is an adage of a person (person's lastname+ism).

Status
Not open for further replies.