Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Exclamation It is possible for humans to listen or read other individuals' reports of events.

Hi,

Are the following two sentences correct regarding grammar and punctuation?

"It is possible for humans to listen or read other individuals' reports of events which they are not aware of them. But, this efficiency is dangerous, since the mind of the communicator has already, deliberately or unknowingly, chosen or shaped knowledge before an individual transmits that knowledge to another person".

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Are the following two sentences correct regarding grammar and punctuation?

Quote Originally Posted by Venus.jam View Post
    Hi,

Are the following two sentences correct regarding grammar and punctuation?

"It is possible for humans to listen to or read other individuals' reports of events which they themselves are not aware of. them.

But, However, this efficiency (I'm not sure why you've used this word) is dangerous (no comma here) since because the mind of the communicator has already, deliberately or unknowingly, chosen or shaped knowledge before an individual he/she transmits that knowledge to another person".
    See above. I'm not entirely sure that I've really understood the gist of your sentences but I've done my best!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

The word "efficiency" has been used because of the preceding sentences (in bold), that is:

Physical world is widely known for its diversity and abundance. It is not possible for individuals to have knowledge of every single thing in it. Language operates as a tool in making the difference between the abundance of the world and the disability of human beings smaller. It assists people in perceiving the world effectively and economically. However, this efficiency (I'm not sure why you've used this word) is dangerous (no comma here) since because the mind of the communicator has already, deliberately or unknowingly, chosen or shaped knowledge before an individual he/she transmits that knowledge to another person".

Is this now acceptable and correct?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thanks to emsr2d2, the grammar and punctuation are correct, but in my opinion the problems lie with the vocabulary and the coherence. It's not clear what you mean in the first sentence, and in the second sentence the vocab issues are:

efficiency
    choose/shape knowledge
    transmit knowledge

5. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: It is possible for humans to listen or read other individuals' reports of events.

Please note that I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

6. Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

!
    Last edited by Venus.jam; 08-Mar-2017 at 19:13.