• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Time in trenches

Hi,

Could anyone please help with this title; "Time in the Trenches: Assessing Parenting Experience"?
    What does "Time in Trenches" mean ?

Time in the Trenches: Assessing Parenting Experience
    As appealing as the idea of shared parenting may be, there may be as many potential hazards in it as there were in the tender years doctrine. In other words, neither doctrine may hold true all the time. Unfortunately, the law is often referred to as a crude instrument, not given to making fine distinctions. Therefore, once a doctrine becomes established it tends to be applied as a rule with few exceptions. If ...

Thanks

The source

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Time in trenches

"In the trenches" refers to real lived experience - rather than the second-hand information you might get from a book, from Googling, or from talking to other people.

A soldier who has actually fought in the trenches knows more about soldiering than a soldier who has never been in a battle. Likewise, a person who has actually raised children knows more about being a parent than a person who has not had children.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.