Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, I don't understand two sentence in the lyrics (in the comment zone) of the song. Please help me out.

Two jacks into an all night buzz

Jacks? Is that some kind of wine?
All night buzz? Does that mean drinking all night and getting drunk?

Cuz you can't take back a whisky text

A whiskey text? Dose it mean that he drinks whiskey and gets drunk? The next thing he does is to send a message with unconsciousness?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I would guess that "jacks" refers to "Jack Daniels", a famous Tennessee whiskey.
An "all night buzz" is probably the "buzz" (good feeling) that one gets from drinking alcohol, and it lasts all night.
A "whisky text" is a text message (SMS) that one sends when drunk. Frequently, the sender regrets sending it when they sober up. In BrE, we just call it a "drunk text".

peaceroot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I would guess that "jacks" refers to "Jack Daniels", a famous Tennessee whiskey.
An "all night buzz" is probably the "buzz" (good feeling) that one gets from drinking alcohol, and it lasts all night.
A "whisky text" is a text message (SMS) that one sends when drunk. Frequently, the sender regrets sending it when they sober up. In BrE, we just call it a "drunk text".

Thank you. Though I took a guess that buzz could mean good feelings, somehow I just can't get the whole sentence. So I presume that I could use "all day buzz" to express that I have a nice day? And due to its original meaning- noise, would it be rude or less polite or oral to use "buzz" to show good feelings? Because I've only found few example sentences such as "give me a buzz," "get a buzz" and "the buzz of conversation and laughter," I wonder if it's formal to use "all night buzz" to put good feelings into that way.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Buzz doesn't mean nice. In this sense, it's a noun: what you have when you're stoned or drunk.

- I wasn't stumbling, but I had a nice buzz on.
- I always like to cop a buzz before English class.

It's slang, not formal English. He's saying he was drunk all night.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There is a big difference between "good feelings" and "feeling good." If you have good feelings you may be feeling happy or cheerful or comfortable etc. But when you are "feeling good" in the context of buzz, you are happily under the influence of an intoxicating substance such as alcohol, marijuana, etc. C.f. "I've got a nice buzz on."

Last edited:

peaceroot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
There is a big difference between "good feelings" and "feeling good." If you have good feelings you may be feeling happy or cheerful or comfortable etc. But when you are "feeling good" in the context of buzz, you are happily under the influence of an intoxicating substance such as alcohol, marijuana, etc. C.f. "I've got a nice buzz on."

OK, I see how to use "buzz" now. Thank you.;-)

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When you are asking for help with a poetry lyric, you should give a complete verse or two. Individual lines in a verse can mean several things depending on context.

For example if the previous lyrics showed us that the the person was in the bar at the time, then the "two Jacks" would certainly mean two Jack Daniels and a "buzz" would be a state of drunkenness. You are well on your way to getting really drunk if you have had enough drinks to have a buzz on. You are feeling good... a little tipsy but you still have most of your faculties, as opposed to being fully drunk where you are erratic...perhaps happy or more often sad or angry.

Yeah, a "whiskey text" would be an email or cellphone text message made while under the influence of whiskey where you may say something you later regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.