• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

"seeing"

Hello all.

I am afraid you have heard this question many times but ......I really canīt see what is wrong with this sentence.

- Those were the things I couldn't see when I was younger. I was one of those people seeing just the result without noticing the effort preceding it.

My teacher told me that "seeing" is simply wrong. She suggests that I write " who could see" instead. But what is wrong with "seeing"?

Thank you!
    Last edited by teechar; 08-Mar-2017 at 18:59. Reason: reduced font size

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "seeing"

Your version is grammatical and makes sense, but your teacher's phrasing is more natural. It's how we would usually say it.

I don't know why. It might be because "could" states ability. It's the difference between "I see" and I can see." You're discerning something that others don't see.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

3. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: "seeing"

I too don't think that it is simply wrong. I prefer your teacher's version, but wouldn't get worked up about the original. I guess the idea is that it is wrong because it implies a duration when a result is something instant.