Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • India

"These changes in your behavior were probably because you were a teenager and your br

Hello all,
    I think maybe the following use of 'because' is different from the bold parts:

"Alice went shopping because she needed to buy bread."
    "Because she needed to buy bread, Alice went shopping."

In the above we have dependent and independent clauses that form the complex sentence as a whole.

How about the following?It is first time I happen to see this structure(be + because) that independent clause does not make sense alone.
    Can we separate these sentences into independent and dependent clauses as well? I am not sure what kind of sentences they are, as we also can't put sentences including 'because' at the first part of the sentence.

"These changes in your behavior were probably because you were a teenager and your brain was playing havoc with your life."

"It could be because you've arbitrarily chosen to be defeated by your opponent".

Last edited by nininaz; 09-Mar-2017 at 15:09.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: "These changes in your behavior were probably because you were a teenager and you

Quote Originally Posted by nininaz View Post
    Hello all,
    I think maybe the following use of 'because' is different from the bold parts:

"Alice went shopping because she needed to buy bread."
    "Because she needed to buy bread, Alice went shopping."
    Both are grammatical and natural and mean the same thing.

In the above we have dependent and independent clauses that form the complex sentence as a whole.

How about the following? (space) It is the first time I've happened to see this structure (space) (be + because), where an independent clause does not make sense alone.
    Can we separate these sentences into independent and dependent clauses as well? I am not sure what kind of sentences they are, as we also can't put sentences including 'because' at the first part of the sentence.

"These changes in your behavior were probably because you were a teenager and your brain was playing havoc with your life."

"It could be because you've arbitrarily chosen to be defeated by your opponent".

Both are grammatical and natural. If I understand your question, then no, they cannot be rearranged in the way that your first example was.
    Interesting question! You're pointing out something I've never noticed. I don't know the rules governing this. Maybe a grammarian can explain.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.