Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 1,003
    #1

    arrange v. set up

    I confuse between verbs arrange and set up. I feel there are some situations that these two meanings fit. There are several meanings of both arrange and set up.

    1. "Set up the books on the shelves in chronical order"
    2. "Arrange the books on the shleves in chronical order."

    Are these two sentences just the same in meaning, i.e exactly the same in meaning?

    Thank you.

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,564
    #2

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    I'm confused about the verbs arrange and set up. I feel there are some situations that these two terms fit. There are several meanings of both arrange and set up.

    1. "Set up the books on the shelves in chronological order"
    2. "Arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order."

    Do these two sentences have the same in meaning, i.e exactly the same in meaning?

    Thank you.
    They mean the same thing. Sentence 2 is slightly more natural, but both are good.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 1,003
    #3

    Re: arrange v. set up

    What do you think about 3. "Put the books on the shelves in chronological order."

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 1,741
    #4

    Re: arrange v. set up

    What's a chronological order of books? Do you mean alphabetical order?


    • arrange = put elements into a particular order
    • set up = arrange elements, in order to prepare to do something with those elements


    You set up chess pieces on a chessboard in preparation for a game.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 1,003
    #5

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    What's a chronological order of books? Do you mean alphabetical order?


    • arrange = put elements into a particular order
    • set up = arrange elements, in order to prepare to do something with those elements


    You set up chess pieces on a chessboard in preparation for a game.
    As you can see, I am a learner and my English is very weak, so I don't exactly know what exactly "chronological" order means for this context but it is probably printing time of books, I would imagine. I tried to make a similarity looking this link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology

    But it is off-topic for this tread because in my last post, I was questioning verb to put and its relation to the verbs to arrange and to set up along with the context. So it is not important to deal the example with alphebetical order or with chronological order. So lets think of these three:

    1) Put the books on the shelves in chronological order.
    2) Set up the books on the shelves in chronological order.
    3) Arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order.

    What is the difference among these sentences, are they identical in meaning ie do they have the same meaning? Or which of them are natural or idiomatic?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 1,741
    #6

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post

    1) Put the books on the shelves in chronological order.
    2) Set up the books on the shelves in chronological order.
    3) Arrange the books on the shelves in chronological order.

    What is the difference among these sentences, are they identical in meaning ie do they have the same meaning? Or which of them are natural or idiomatic?
    1) is okay
    3) is much better
    2) is not right

    For the differences in meaning, see my previous post #4.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,833
    #7

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    As you can see, I am a learner and my English is very weak, so I don't exactly know what exactly "chronological" order means for this context but it is probably printing time of books, I would imagine.

    I had a teacher at my university who grouped his books chronologically- grouping them by period - and then placed them in alphabetical order within the different periods. It seems logical to me- he had his medieval books together, in A-Z order, and his modern books separately the same way.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 17-Mar-2017 at 23:20. Reason: Fixed typo

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,822
    #8

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I had a teacher at my university who grouped his books chronologically- grouping them by period - and then placed them in alphabetical order within the different periods. It seems logical to me- he had his medieval books together, in A-Z order, and his modern books separately the same way.
    Ah, my kind of OCD.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 1,741
    #9

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    he had his medieval books together, in A-Z order
    This clause made me drool.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 1,003
    #10

    Re: arrange v. set up

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    What's a chronological order of books? Do you mean alphabetical order?


    • arrange = put elements into a particular order
    • set up = arrange elements, in order to prepare to do something with those elements


    You set up chess pieces on a chessboard in preparation for a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    2) is not right

    For the differences in meaning, see my previous post #4.
    As an American, Charlie Bernstein finds "set up" good but you are not so is this an American vice British detail?

    Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2016, 14:39
  2. Set arrange or schedule
    By irland5 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2015, 20:58
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Dec-2009, 10:54
  4. set in, set about, attribute or adverbial
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2008, 16:14
  5. Set foot/set feet
    By zigzag in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-Jul-2006, 23:09

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •