• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

correctness

Are there correct sentences?

Choose one of the topics in the file using text and charts and write a formal expository essay according to the instruction of 35020 words. Quote information from two different sources and remember to cite them in the text.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: correctness

Quote Originally Posted by bartdebsky View Post

Choose one of the topics in the file using text and charts and write a formal expository essay according to the instruction of 35020 words. Quote information from two different sources and remember to cite them in the text.
    They look OK to me. However, the one I've marked in red above isn't correct. Can you spot the error?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: correctness

Quote Originally Posted by bartdebsky View Post

Choose one of the topics in the file using text and charts, and write a formal expository essay according to the instruction of from 330 to 380 words. Quote information from two different sources​, and remember to cite them in the text.
    Your plus-or-minus symbol is good in math but not good in prose. If you don't have to be exact, you could simply say "about 350 words."

In American English, we generally separate independent clauses with commas. We skip the comma if the sentence is very short, like "Sit down and shut up!"

The word "correctness" usually refers to propriety, not accuracy. Give your posts titles that tell us what the post is about. For example: "Are these sentences correct?"
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.