Boys bunk school and play cricket and get home at the exact time as they "get".

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Boys bunk school and play cricket and get home at the exact time as they "get".

This is an account of my experience that what guys do during their school time.

Boys bunk school and play cricket or wander here and there and get home at the exact time as they "get" or "would get" after attending school. (If they are suppose to reach home at 3 PM they would reach exactly at 3 PM as if they have returned from school.)

Boys leave field when they realise it is time for school to over and in order to reach home at an exact time at what they usually reach after school.

This is what we used to do when we were in the last two years of our school life 11th and 12th standard.

Please check my sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Re: Boys bunk school and play cricket and get home at the exact time as they "get".

This is an account of my experience [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] about what some guys [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] did during their school time.

Some boys would bunk off school and play cricket or wander here and there instead, [STRIKE]and get[/STRIKE] but they still got home at the [STRIKE]exact[/STRIKE] same time as they were supposed to. [STRIKE]"get" or "would get" after attending school. ([/STRIKE] If they [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were supposed to [STRIKE]reach[/STRIKE] get home at 3 PM after school, they would [STRIKE]reach exactly[/STRIKE] get home at 3 PM as if they [STRIKE]have returned[/STRIKE] had just come back from school.

Those boys would leave the field where they were playing cricket to get home in time. [STRIKE]when they realise it is time for school to over and in order to reach home at an exact time at what they usually reach after school.[/STRIKE]

This is what we used to often do when we were in the last two years of [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] school - [STRIKE]life[/STRIKE] 11th and 12th standards.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Re: Boys bunk school and play cricket and get home at the exact time as they "get".

"It is time for school to over and in order to reach home at an exact time at what they usually reach after school."

Could you please help me with these sentences as well? Although you have given me the amended version of my sentences. But I was just wondering whether these sentences can be used or amended?

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

This is what we used to often do when we were in the last two years of our school - life 11th and 12th standards.

Is it better to write 'This is what we often used to do...'?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Is it better to write 'This is what we often used to do...'?

No difference.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

No difference.

"It is time for school to over and in order to reach home at an exact time at what they usually reach after school." How about this sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"It is time for school to over and in order to reach home at an exact time at what they usually reach after school." How about this sentence?

That sentence is, unfortunately, a disaster from start to finish. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Please try to explain it in a different way and give us the context in which you might want to use it.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

That sentence is, unfortunately, a disaster from start to finish. I have no idea what you are trying to say. Please try to explain it in a different way and give us the context in which you might want to use it.

Boys stop playing when they realise that it is the time for the school to over (suppose its 2 PM and school overs at 2 PM daily). So at 2 PM they leave for their home in order to reach home at the same time at what they reach after attending school.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

in order to reach home at the same time at what they reach after attending school.

The part above is still very unclear. Do you mean that they try to get home at the same time every day after school?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

The part above is still very unclear. Do you mean that they try to get home at the same time every day after school?

Yes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"Over" is not a verb so you can't say "school overs". We say that "school is over" or "school finishes".

The boys stop playing football at the same time that school finishes so that they will get home at the same time they would if they had been to school.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

"Over" is not a verb so you can't say "school overs". We say that "school is over" or "school finishes".

The boys stop playing football at the same time that school finishes so that they will get home at the same time they would if they had been to school.

Just one last question is my sentence correct If we are talking about the regular activity or a habit?

The boys stop playing football at the same time that school finishes so that they get home at the same time they get after "having been to the school" or "attending the school".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Just one last question is my sentence correct If we are talking about the regular activity or a habit?

The boys stop playing football at the same time that school finishes so that they get home at the same time they get after "having been to the school" or "attending the school".

Neither version of your sentence is correct. The first problem is the part I have underlined, specifically the part in red. The second problem is one I'm sure we've told you before - you need to remove "the" before "school".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Neither version of your sentence is correct. The first problem is the part I have underlined, specifically the part in red. The second problem is one I'm sure we've told you before - you need to remove "the" before "school".

The boys stop playing football at the same time that school finishes so that they get home at the same time they would after "having been to school" or "attending school".

But this doesn't make it correct either. Can you correct it? After "would" we will have to use past perfect here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Both your suggestions are possible, giving us a total of three possible endings...

... so that they get home at the same time they would if they had been to school.
... so that they get home at the same time they would having been to school.
... so that they get home at the same they would after attending school.

It could also finish "... so that they get home at the same time they would had they been to school/had they attended school".

Status
Not open for further replies.