Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Arrow Could you guys share your opinion on this matter?

So me and my friend were doing this question which is "The underlined statement in paragraph 2 clearly explained about..." the choices were Obama's faimily, Obama's life, Obama's favorite, Obama's story, Obama's hobby. Then don't know which to choose, between Obama's life or Obama's story. Some told the answer Obama's life while others said that it's Obama's Story. What are your guy's thought on this matter? Any opinions are welcomed
    Here's the said paragraph

Barack H. Obama is the 44th President of the United States.

His story is the American story - values from the heartland, a middle-class upbringing in a strong family, hard work and education as the means of getting ahead, and the conviction that a life so blessed should be lived in service to others.

With a father from Kenya and a mother from Kansas, President Obama was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961. He was raised with help from his grandfather, who served in Patton's army, and his grandmother, who worked her way up from the secretarial pool to middle management at a bank.

After working his way through college with the help of scholarships and student loans, President Obama moved to Chicago, where he worked with a group of churches to help rebuild communities devastated by the closure of local steel plants.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Could you guys share your opinion on this matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dorokun View Post
    So me and My friend and I were doing this question: which is "The underlined statement in paragraph 2 clearly explained about..."

The choices were:
    Obama's faimily family
    Obama's life
    Obama's favorite
    Obama's story
    Obama's hobby.

Then We don't didn't know which to choose (no comma here) between Obama's life or and Obama's story. Some told said/thought the answer was Obama's life while others said that it's Obama's story. What are your guy's thoughts on this matter? Any opinions are welcomed.

Here's the said paragraph ​piece:

Barack H. Obama is the 44th President of the United States.

His story is the American story - values from the heartland, a middle-class upbringing in a strong family, hard work and education as the means of getting ahead, and the conviction that a life so blessed should be lived in service to others.

With a father from Kenya and a mother from Kansas, President Obama was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961. He was raised with help from his grandfather, who served in Patton's army, and his grandmother, who worked her way up from the secretarial pool to middle management at a bank.

After working his way through college with the help of scholarships and student loans, President Obama moved to Chicago, where he worked with a group of churches to help rebuild communities devastated by the closure of local steel plants.
    Welcome to the forum.

First, see my corrections above.

The answer to the question is held in the first six words of the second paragraph.

If only you and your friend were trying to answer the question, why did you say "Some thought the answer was XXX and others said that it was YYY"? Who were all these other people with opinions?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

Looks like I still have a lot of work to do LOL. Thanks for correcting me, I'll keep those in mind whenever I'm writing anything in English.
    I asked a bunch of my friends and my English teachers, their answers weren't the same. Some answered B while others answered D.
    Some even said both of them are correct . Sigh English is pretty hard haha

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Did you see where ems said "the answer to the question is held in the first six words of the second paragraph"?

The answer is very clear.
    Last edited by teechar; 16-Mar-2017 at 20:43.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Dorokun View Post
    Looks like I still have a lot of work to do. (Delete LOL.) Thanks for correcting me. I'll keep those in mind whenever I'm writing anything in English.
    I asked a bunch of my friends and my English teachers, but their answers weren't the same. Some answered B while others answered D.
    Some even said both of them are correct . English is pretty hard. (Delete sigh and haha.)
    Yes, they're both correct, but "story" is better, for the reason Ems explained.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • Indonesia

My bad, I was pretty tired when reading it. I see, thanks guys for helping me. I'm sure this message won't get corrected again.