Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

You can call/contact me at/on this number. Which combination is more common?

When you give someone your contact number and ask him or her to contact you on/at that number how would you ask him or her to contact you at/on the same number?

Here is my business/visiting/contact card. You can call/contact/reach me at/on this number.

Kindly let me know which combination is more common and natural among native speakers.

Regards,
    Aamir the Global Citizen :)

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: You can call/contact me at/on this number. Which combination is more common?

"Here's my card. You can contact me on that number."

However, it would be a bit pointless to give someone a card with a phone number on if you can't be reached at that number! I'd just go with "Here's my card".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

Re: You can call/contact me at/on this number. Which combination is more common?

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

However, it would be a bit pointless to give someone a card with a phone number on if you can't be reached at that number! I'd just go with "Here's my card".
    There is a possibility that there are more than one number or may be three numbers and since the card was printed a couple of years ago the person may not be using one or two of them and only one of the numbers is currently active.

4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

From what I can see in your answer. You have used two "prepositions"

And
    "if you can't be reached at that number! I'd just go with "Here's my card".

So can both the prepositions "on" and "at" be used with "number" or "at" is used while you use the verb "reach"? as "You can reach me at this number" and should we use the preposition "on" while we use "contact", "You can contact me on this number" or "You can contact me at this number" is also correct?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    There is a possibility that there are is more than one number, or may be maybe three numbers. and Since the card was printed a couple of years ago, the person may not be using one or two of them and only one of the numbers is currently active.
    See above. I hope that person doesn't expect to be successful in whatever business they're in, if they're that disorganised with their business cards!

However, let's assume you're right. I would say "Here's my card. You can reach me at the first/second/third number".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

6. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

See above. I hope that person doesn't expect to be successful in whatever business they're in, if they're that disorganised with their business cards!

However, let's assume you're right. I would say "Here's my card. You can reach me at the first/second/third number".
    You are absolutely right, however, it has become a common practice in Pakistan among those who run low-profile businesses like those who are shop keepers or local vendors, they can't afford to spend money on printing fresh cards, so they just let their clients know which of those numbers are active and non-active.

7. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Why don't they just cross out/delete/strike through the non-active numbers?

8. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I'd use only on.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Aamir Tariq View Post
    When you give someone your contact number and ask him or her to contact you at that number how would you ask him or her to contact you at the same number?

Here is my business card. You can call/contact/reach me at this number.

Kindly let me know which combination is more common and natural among native speakers.

Regards,
    Aamir the Global Citizen :)
    Call, contact, and reach are all fine. We call them business cards. Only at is correct. It's fine to hand someone a business card and say "You can call me at this number."
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

10. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Only at is correct.
    In BE, 'on' is just fine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last