Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Consider the sentence and underlined words:

After I completed my Masters degree, I noticed that the solutions that I provided were much better than they might [have been otherwise / have otherwise been].

1. Which is correct as per grammar? I guess the latter.
2. As a native speaker, does one sound unnatural than the other? Would you, the native speaker, be perfectly fine if one used the former in day-to-day conversation.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say might otherwise have been. It still wouldn't be a very natural sentence but that's less unnatural than the other choices.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
What do you mean by "otherwise"?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'd say might otherwise have been. It still wouldn't be a very natural sentence but that's less unnatural than the other choices.

@GoesStation: How would you speak the sentence?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@GoesStation: How would you speak the sentence?

I think you mean to ask how I would express the idea. Unfortunately I'm not sure what your sentence is supposed to mean. Do you mean that gaining a masters degree gave you skills that helped you provide much better solutions than you could have provided before?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do you mean that gaining a masters degree gave you skills that helped you provide much better solutions than you could have provided before?

Yes, exactly. Keeping the structure more or less the same, how would you have expressed this sentence?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think that considering what you mean to say, where otherwise is standing in for something like 'if I hadn't completed my Master's degree', then the former, with otherwise at the end of the sentence, is a little clearer and tidier since it appears in the same logical position as the implied clause it's substituting.

It's still not very clear what you actually mean, though -- what exactly the implied clause is. I think your meaning will come through better if you begin in a different way. Here's my suggestion:

Having completed my Master's degree, the solutions I provided seemed much better than they might have been otherwise.

Of course, to some extent the intended meaning comes from how you say the utterance as well as the form it takes.

vishalgupta

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Consider the sentence and underlined words:

After I completed my Masters degree, I noticed that the solutions that I provided were much better than they might [have been otherwise / have otherwise been].

1. Which is correct as per grammar? I guess the latter.
2. As a native speaker, does one sound unnatural than the other? Would you, the native speaker, be perfectly fine if one used the former in day-to-day conversation.

I think there is no need of otherwise here when you are using the phrase better than. The word otherwise seems to be superfluous here. And if we have to use the same phrase, the correct version may be - they might otherwise have been.

blairmn23

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Andorra
I am not quite sure about it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, blairmn23.:-D

Please ask us a specific question in a new thread of your own, with a title that includes the word or phrase you are asking about.

First spend some time browsing the forum and reading the rules and guidelines to see how this website works.

Status
Not open for further replies.