Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Feb 2017
    • Posts: 235
    #1

    I called on the travel agency

    Which of these are correct?
    I called the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I called on the travel agency for a cheap flight.
    I phoned the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I rang the travel agency up to find a cheap flight.

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 50,770
    #2

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    Quote Originally Posted by AirbusA321 View Post
    Which of these are correct?
    I called the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I called on the travel agency for a cheap flight.
    I phoned the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I rang the travel agency up to find a cheap flight. Also correct (and marginally better) without "up".
    See above.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  3. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Feb 2017
    • Posts: 235
    #3

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    What's the mistake in the second one, "called on" or "for"?

  4. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 8,577
    #4

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    Quote Originally Posted by AirbusA321 View Post
    What's the mistake in the second one, "called on" or "for"?
    Both, really. You don't need "on" and it's better to use a to-infinitive verb to show the reason for the call, as you did in the other sentences.

  5. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

    • Join Date: Feb 2017
    • Posts: 235
    #5

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    Here are more alternatives:
    I called up the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I called upon the travel agency...
    I buzzed the travel agency....
    I invoked the travel agency...
    I invocated the travel agency...

    What do you think of them?

  6. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 8,577
    #6

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    Quote Originally Posted by AirbusA321 View Post
    Here are more alternatives:
    I called up the travel agency to find a cheap flight.
    I called upon the travel agency...
    I buzzed the travel agency....
    I invoked the travel agency...
    I invocated the travel agency...

    What do you think of them?
    I think the first sounds good.
    I think the second sounds mysterious, as if the agency owes you some kind of favour, for some reason.
    I think the third doesn't make any sense.
    I think the fourth sounds like you're performing black magic, and the travel agency is an ancient Mesopotamian spirit.
    I think the fifth sounds like you're a lawyer and you've got some kind of legal thing going on with the travel agency, which I don't understand at all...perhaps.

  7. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 66,853
    #7

    Re: I called on the travel agency

    Called on could mean that you visited in person.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •