• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

slot or frame?

A schedule is a table of 0s and 1s representing states of devices "off" and "on". In the table each device has its row whereas columns represent time periods. Which name for columns would be more appropriate: "time slots" or "time frames"? Or maybe any other ideas?

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: slot or frame?

Quote Originally Posted by ktroj View Post
    A schedule is a table of 0s and 1s representing states of devices "off" and "on". Sounds like a definition of "schedule," which is probably what you mean to say. You might try something like:

- I have a schedule consisting of a table of . . . .
    - I have a table of . . . .
    - On a table I have, 0s and 1s represent . . . .

In the table each device has its row whereas columns represent time periods. Which name for columns would be more appropriate: "time slots" or "time frames"? Or maybe any other ideas?
    The better synonym for "periods" is "slots." Although "frames" makes sense and would be understood, it's more natural "slots" when we're talking about scheduling activities. "Frame" is more natural for the broader sense of a time period. For example.

- I couldn't finish the job within the time frame in the contract.
    - If they want us to add another wing to the school, we'll need a longer time frame than that.

Because of that, "time frame" isn't usually pluralzed.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.