Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I don't love you the way that you love me.

Hi,
    There is a sentence in a playtext which I translate, 'I think I don't love you the way that you love me.'
    Could you please say what does it mean? Is it means double-barrelled? Like, 'You love me but I don't like your style.' or ' You love me but I don't love you like you love me.'
    Thank you.

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I don't love you the way that you love me.

Quote Originally Posted by laviniaque View Post
    Hi,
    There is a sentence in a playtext which I translate as, 'I don't think I love you the way that you love me.'
    Could you please tell me what it means? Does it have a double meaning? Like, 'You love me but I don't like your style.' (No.) or ' You love me but I don't love you like you love me.' ​(Yes.)
    Thank you.
    What language did you translate it from? Are you translating from another language you're studying into English?

There's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. You can care deeply for other people without wanting to have sex or committed relationships with them.

So another way we might phrase it is "I love you, but I'm not in love with you."

Does that make sense?
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

It's also possible that they are in a romantic relationship but one of them is more serious about it than the other. Perhaps the other person envisages a long, committed relationship, perhaps with marriage and children in the future but the speaker just doesn't feel quite the same way.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    What language did you translate it from? Are you translating from another language you're studying into English?

There's a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone. You can care deeply for other people without wanting to have sex or committed relationships with them.

So another way we might phrase it is "I love you, but I'm not in love with you."

Does that make sense?

Thank you.
    I translate from English to Turkish. So, the sentence that I wrote before is the playwright Lucy Prebble's original sentence, "I think I don't love you the way that you love me." So, I'm still confused.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It's also possible that they are in a romantic relationship but one of them is more serious about it than the other. Perhaps the other person envisages a long, committed relationship, perhaps with marriage and children in the future but the speaker just doesn't feel quite the same way.
    They're on a drug trial. They feel strong sexuality for each other during the trial. This is a female test subject who say the sentence. And actually, we know the girl is getting in love with the guy and the guy is same as. And yes, it's getting a bit romantically. And the original sentence is the playwright Lucy Prebble's is "I think I don't love you the way that you love me." Your answer will be the same again, I guess. Thank you.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by laviniaque View Post
    They're on a drug trial. They feel strong sexuality sexual desire for each other during the trial. This It is a female test subject who says the sentence. And Actually, we know the girl is getting falling in love with the guy and the guy is doing the same. as. And yes, it's getting a bit romantic. ally. And The original sentence is by the playwright Lucy Prebble's is "I think I don't love you the way that you love me." Your answer will be the same again, I guess. Thank you.
    In future, please give us the full context in post #1.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.