Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Maine legislature's style guide discourages Oxford comma; truckers win $10 million

If you habitually omit Oxford commas, remember to read your lists very carefully for clarity. Maine truck drivers stand to win ten million dollars by showing that a Maine law that was probably meant to exclude them can be read to require overtime pay. When the legislature drafted the law, they followed their style guide which discourages Oxford commas.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Maine legislature's style guide discourages Oxford comma; truckers win $10 millio

Any chance you can show us the relevant sentence/paragraph which disastrously omitted the Oxford comma?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Maine legislature's style guide discourages Oxford comma; truckers win $10 millio

Certainly. It says that a rule requiring overtime pay does not apply to "The canning, processing, preserving, freezing, drying, marketing, storing, packing for shipment or distribution of: [agricultural, fish, and dairy products.]" The drivers were engaged in the distribution of qualifying products; their lawyer successfully argued that the final excluded class was "packing for shipment or distribution".
    I am not a teacher.

4. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    their lawyer successfully argued that the final excluded class was "packing for shipment or distribution".
    Fair enough I suppose as that's how it reads. I wonder who it was that wrote that particular style guide and what their reasons behind the decision not to use Oxford commas were. Maybe it goes to show you shouldn't automatically assume that style guides always deserve their authority.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I've just read the relevant bit of the Maine Legislative Drafting Manual. While it does say "don’t use a comma between the penultimate and the last item of a series," it goes on to warn against the kind of error that led to the award and to explain how to write so as to avoid it.
    I am not a teacher.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Nice work by whoever spotted the interpretation. There was a big case in European law about what they meant, as translations had sometimes used slight variations, allowing people to argue something like whether it could include agents or not.