Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: huge eyes

  1. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,063
    #1

    huge eyes

    "Her huge eyes widened further."

    Would you please explain what a huge eye is? I think eyes cannot be huge but be big.

    So, what do you think?

    https://books.google.com.tr/books?id...0steel&f=false

    Thank you.

  2. teechar's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

    • Join Date: Feb 2015
    • Posts: 7,723
    #2

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    Would you please explain what a huge eye is?
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with "huge eyes". The word "huge" simply means very big.

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    I think eyes cannot be huge but be big.
    That's incorrect. See above.

  3. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,063
    #3

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with "huge eyes". The word "huge" simply means very big.


    That's incorrect. See above.
    But eyes in general are in the same magnitude some eyes might slightly bigger than others but how can we call them huge?

    Thank you.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 47,433
    #4

    Re: huge eyes

    Everything's relative. Eyes range from tiny to huge/enormous and everything in between. I'm sure you'll agree, having seen this picture, that the wonderful Marty Feldman certainly had huge eyes.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  5. Piscean's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 13,483
    #5

    Re: huge eyes


  6. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 6,071
    #6

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    "Her huge eyes widened further."

    Would you please explain what a huge eye is? I think eyes cannot be huge but be big.
    The writer is merely saying that her eyes seemed huge because they were open wide. They were not literally large in size.

  7. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,063
    #7

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    The writer is merely saying that her eyes seemed huge because they were open wide. They were not literally large in size.
    I'm sorry but I don't think so. Why? Because it is clear that her eyes are always huge and those huge eyes wer open wide. And I think it is literally but relatively in size. It implies that her eyes somehow bigger, or at least in appearance, than usual ones.

    Please do not form a bad opinion of me. I have given just what I have thought this is just a brainwave.

    Thank you.

  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,380
    #8

    Re: huge eyes

    After seeing Emma Stone at the Oscars, I remarked "Her eyes are huge!" I'm a native speaker. I meant that Ms. Stone has eyes which look exceptionally large.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88c0f32d21c12b6fbb3c8224d7190728.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	2571
    Last edited by GoesStation; 19-Mar-2017 at 20:01.
    I am not a teacher.

  9. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 6,071
    #9

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    I'm sorry but I don't think so. Why? Because it is clear that her eyes are always huge and those huge eyes wer open wide. And I think it is literally but relatively in size. It implies that her eyes somehow bigger, or at least in appearance, than usual ones.

    Please do not form a bad opinion of me. I have given just what I have thought this is just a brainwave.
    Your brainwave is welcome, don't worry. But why do you think "it is clear her eyes are always huge"? You yourself said:

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    But eyes in general are in the same magnitude some eyes might slightly bigger than others but how can we call them huge?
    So, again, her eyes are not literally huge -- they just appear to be huge. The writer is using that word poetically, for effect.

  10. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,063
    #10

    Re: huge eyes

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    Your brainwave is welcome, don't worry. But why do you think "it is clear her eyes are always huge"? You yourself said:



    So, again, her eyes are not literally huge -- they just appear to be huge. The writer is using that word poetically, for effect.
    Because of other replies, I accepted eyes can be huge. Did you looked at other replies especially #4. People think that they are huge eyes. Becaue if they become huge because they are open wide, this means everybody can have huge eyes. And there is a picture of a famous woman, Goesstation calls her eyes huge but they are not wide open.

    Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. A huge 'thank you'!
    By frogboxer in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19-Feb-2013, 17:57
  2. [Vocabulary] his eyes get fixed or his eyes fix
    By Marina Gaidar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2012, 00:09
  3. slanting eyes/almond eyes
    By moonlike in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2012, 22:43
  4. huge ?
    By ph2004 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Jan-2011, 11:08
  5. huge
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2004, 18:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •