Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
There's absolutely nothing wrong with "huge eyes". The word "huge" simply means very big.

That's incorrect. See above.

But eyes in general are in the same magnitude some eyes might slightly bigger than others but how can we call them huge?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Everything's relative. Eyes range from tiny to huge/enormous and everything in between. I'm sure you'll agree, having seen this picture, that the wonderful Marty Feldman certainly had huge eyes.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Her huge eyes widened further."

Would you please explain what a huge eye is? I think eyes cannot be huge but be big.

The writer is merely saying that her eyes seemed huge because they were open wide. They were not literally large in size.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The writer is merely saying that her eyes seemed huge because they were open wide. They were not literally large in size.

I'm sorry but I don't think so. Why? Because it is clear that her eyes are always huge and those huge eyes wer open wide. And I think it is literally but relatively in size. It implies that her eyes somehow bigger, or at least in appearance, than usual ones.

Please do not form a bad opinion of me. I have given just what I have thought this is just a brainwave.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After seeing Emma Stone at the Oscars, I remarked "Her eyes are huge!" I'm a native speaker. I meant that Ms. Stone has eyes which look exceptionally large.
88c0f32d21c12b6fbb3c8224d7190728.jpg

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm sorry but I don't think so. Why? Because it is clear that her eyes are always huge and those huge eyes wer open wide. And I think it is literally but relatively in size. It implies that her eyes somehow bigger, or at least in appearance, than usual ones.

Please do not form a bad opinion of me. I have given just what I have thought this is just a brainwave.

Your brainwave is welcome, don't worry. But why do you think "it is clear her eyes are always huge"? You yourself said:

But eyes in general are in the same magnitude some eyes might slightly bigger than others but how can we call them huge?

So, again, her eyes are not literally huge -- they just appear to be huge. The writer is using that word poetically, for effect.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Your brainwave is welcome, don't worry. But why do you think "it is clear her eyes are always huge"? You yourself said:

So, again, her eyes are not literally huge -- they just appear to be huge. The writer is using that word poetically, for effect.

Because of other replies, I accepted eyes can be huge. Did you looked at other replies especially #4. People think that they are huge eyes. Becaue if they become huge because they are open wide, this means everybody can have huge eyes. And there is a picture of a famous woman, Goesstation calls her eyes huge but they are not wide open.

Thank you.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here are a couple of videos which share cosmetic tricks to achieve huge eyes.

Not that you're necessarily interested in cosmetics, but if you skip forward through sections, you can see some examples of how we perceive eyes as changing size, when they physically don't.

Huge eye tips
Big eyes and lips tips

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England