Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've got gripes about some of the words used for gender definitions. Its just some issues I've got. Now as to how the words were invented in the first place that would probably require extensive research into the history of the english language which I believe is a part of linguistics. Among the stuff that linguistics covers history of the language is one of them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think a higher-priority gripe for you ought to be learning the correct spelling of the word "English" and how to use commas and apostrophes in your sentences.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We're entering an age of considerable gender fluidity, so you may find yourself getting grumpier. Some words are losing gender, others are gaining it, and some are being binned.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will get to my gripes but first I want to discuss other stuff for which I will create other threads. As for you teechar, how you point out my misspellings and my wrong uses of commas and apostrophes you will have to bear with me. Its been awhile since I've taken an English class in school and Im getting up there in age.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So now I feel I am finally ready to vent about what I don't like about some of the words that define genders. Here are my gripes. I have no problems with the words boy and girl, they're words that define different genders and as such they're totally different words. Also I don't have any problems with the words man, male, and lady. Again, different words. What I don't like are the words woman and female. Why? Because they use man and male as their root word. A word for defining a different gender should be a completely different word, not the same word with some extra letters added on. I am no expert on the history of the english language but I will say this much, whoever came up with the words is a completely brainless dimwit. I would like to go back in time and knock some sense into them, and I would like to go back in time and change the english language in that regard. It is so cheap to come up with words to define a different gender just by adding a little prefix.

OK now I feel better, since I vented and blew off some steam.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In any case, there is little point in complaining now about how words evolved over centuries. It's rather more relevant to most people today to do our bit by removing/changing pointless feminine suffixes that can suggest that the male role is the natural one - actor [STRIKE]actress[/STRIKE], chair[STRIKE]man[/STRIKE], [STRIKE]policeman[/STRIKE], police officer, etc.

I do think we should keep using the word policeman, after all, its the kind of job that men should do.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I do think we should keep using the word "policeman." After all, it's the kind of job that men should do.
See corrections above.

Unfortunately, we don't have a "dislike" button on this forum; not yet, at least. Otherwise, I would have certainly clicked it for your last post.
But here's the nearest thing I could find. :down:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am not a linguist but my understanding of modern linguistics is that gender in its technical sense has nothing to do with masculine, feminine, or neuter. Whenever a language divides nouns into categories, each category is a gender. Could a real linguist please confirm?

Konungursvia?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hitman remains stubbornly gendered. ;-)

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
See corrections above.

Unfortunately, we don't have a "dislike" button on this forum; not yet, at least. Otherwise, I would have certainly clicked it for your last post.
But here's the nearest thing I could find. :down:

Alright, you're entitled to your opinion. Now, might I ask why you dislike my post?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The word 'gender' for categories of noun has traditionally been associated with masculine, feminine and (sometimes) neuter, but membership of a particular class is in many languages has more to do with other properties of the noun than biolocical considerations.

You may be interested in this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_gender

Thank you for that reference. That was precisely what I intended to say.

Photon Guy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I dsiliked your post because of the claim that policing is something that 'men should do'.

I find it immensely disappointing that, in 2017, there are still people who feel that men should do certain jobs. Do you think that there something in a penis that gives its owner special crime-prevention/detection powers?

You got a point there. Some men are good at being police officers and some men aren't. But my point was more along the lines that its not the kind of job women should do.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This thread is going nowhere. I'm, therefore, closing it!

Status
Not open for further replies.