Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 19 of 19
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 8,987
    #11

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    What do you mean by "The passive sentence"?
    The one written in the passive voice.
    This is exactly what I mean to say. Why are such important documents not prepared good well enough?
    Poor writing is sadly more the rule than the exception in technical fields. One simple reason is that a great many documents are written by non-native English speakers.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,268
    #12

    Re: needed to precede

    Another is that incompetent translators are employed.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,291
    #13

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    Well, above also seems odd to me because the installer itself, being there, makes nothing for the installation of Autocad. Actually the installer itself not needed because we use it for the installation, after the installation we can delete installer so should not it be written as "The installation of Direct X is needed before you do the installation of AutoCAD?

    Yours is indirect way, mine is the direct way of what is required.

    Thank you.
    Well, the original isn't "mine," I am just explaining to you what it means.

    The main purpose of this sentence is to tell you where the installer is. So, yes, it is important to mention the installer.

    Your sentence explains that Direct X is needed to be installed before. But it does not give the location of the installer needed to do this.

    The original sentence, though dense and seemingly confusing, does indeed convey the entire message.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 986
    #14

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The passive sentence is awkward, but your point is correct: the real requirement is the DirectX driver. The document should say that. You must have DirectX version x.xx installed before installing AutoCAD 2012.
    How can you re-form this sentence, using verb precede, conveying the same idea ie retaning the meaning?

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 8,987
    #15

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    How can you re-form this sentence, using the verb precede, conveying the same idea; i.e., retaining the meaning?
    I wouldn't use that verb here because using it results in an overcomplicated sentence.
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 986
    #16

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I wouldn't use that verb here because using it results in an overcomplicated sentence.
    It might make the sentence shorter in spite of its complexity, do you agree? Let me try: "DirectX installation needed to precede the AutoCAD 2012 installation."

    Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 8,987
    #17

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    It might make the sentence shorter in spite of its complexity, do you agree? Let me try: "DirectX installation needed to​ must precede the AutoCAD 2012 installation."
    With my correction, your sentence is clear. However, when it comes to writing instructions, it's possible to be too succinct. It's better to tell the user what they have to do in the order they have to do it:

    1. If version x.xx of Direct X is not already installed, run the installer at [pathname]. [Insert instructions telling how to identify the installed DirectX version and how to install DirectX, or a reference to them, here.]

    2. Install AutoCAD 2012.
    a. Do this....
    b. Do that....
    I am not a teacher.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 986
    #18

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    With my correction, your sentence is clear. However, when it comes to writing instructions, it's possible to be too succinct. It's better to tell the user what they have to do in the order they have to do it:

    1. If version x.xx of Direct X is not already installed, run the installer at [pathname]. [Insert instructions telling how to identify the installed DirectX version and how to install DirectX, or a reference to them, here.]

    2. Install AutoCAD 2012.
    a. Do this....
    b. Do that....
    What is a and b?

    ​Thank you.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 8,987
    #19

    Re: needed to precede

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    What is a and b?

    An example of one way to write clear instructions. I wrote a bit of an outline which another writer could base the instructions on.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. precede
    By jiang_14 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2015, 13:58
  2. [Grammar] Confused with Ing clauses and Possessives precede gerunds
    By behxrad in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2014, 17:14
  3. Precede
    By Sepmre in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-Mar-2013, 15:54
  4. Does 'ALREADY' always precede the verb?
    By Kristine May in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2011, 20:28
  5. precede with or proceede with never by
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-Feb-2011, 15:35

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •