• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Editor bugs are driving me crazy

I have a feeling the site's administrators don't access it through Chrome. May I suggest that they use Chrome exclusively for a week or two, so they can experience the site as a great many newcomers do? The editor loses its place whenever the user enters bold, italic, or underlined text. Under certain circumstances it loses the insertion point seemingly randomly, jumping back to the first letter in a formatted string. It ignores space characters in replies to quoted text. It mangles pasted-in text, leading to wasted time and raw feelings in back-and-forths addressing formatting errors.

A dedicated, computer-savvy user will learn how to work around these shortcomings, but visitors are likely to give up after their first couple of posts. I know that the fix will require a lot of work, as upgrading the underlying engine and add-ons is a big job. I'll enjoy my time on the site a lot more when that fix is implemented, and I think the site will profit from having more, and happier, users.
    I am not a teacher.

2. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: Editor bugs are driving me crazy

I use Chrome (on Linux). The issue I have is that when I use the Quote function, the space bar ceases to operate. This problem seems to be a browser one, so the fix will have to come from Google, I'm afraid. I don't see this losing its place problem in my version of Chrome. I will alert the webmaster and sorry for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by teechar; 22-Mar-2017 at 18:20.

3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I should have specified that I use Chrome for Windows.

We've discussed these bugs before in the Support forum. They're known bugs in the platform UE runs on (or let's say "incompatibilities") which have been fixed in the latest versions. Last time we discussed this, updating the version wasn't possible because the forum uses some add-ons that were not yet supported in the new version. I'm hoping that is no longer the case.

I'll paste an example of the most egregious text mangling the next time it happens.
    I am not a teacher.

4. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

I use Chrome on Windows exclusively. As I have said before, upgrading the site to the latest version of the forum software at this time will result in the loss of significant functionality from what we can tell, and this is not likely to be any better than the situation we are in at the moment.

The bug seems to be more of a backward-compatibility bug in the Chrome browser than a bug in the forum software, so it's complicated. I can only suggest that you use FireFox in the meantime if the bug annoys you that much until a fix is found or an upgrade becomes available.

Sorry that this is not the answer you wanted, but it's the only one I have at this time.
    I'm not a teacher, so please consider any advice I give in that context.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

At least I know that I'm not suffering alone. Thanks.
    I am not a teacher.

6. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I should have specified that I use Chrome for Windows.
    There are occasionally advantages to being an OS weirdo.

7. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I'm hoping that is no longer the case.
    The key issue seems to be with replying to a post with a quote. This is when the space bar fails to function.

It turns out that the fix seems to be to hit Enter before you start typing! This appears to fix the issue completely. Odd, but true... at least in my tests.

8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

That corrects that swallowed-spaces bug, and I don't have a lot of trouble remembering to do it. The failure to replace line breaks with spaces bug hits people who routinely paste in text, sometimes leading to unpleasant back-and-forth exchanges as posters are repeatedly asked to fill in the missing spaces rather than getting their questions answered.

Far more insidious is the lost-insertion-point bug. If you enter text in italics, turn off the selected style and type some more, then hit backspace, the editor deletes text beginning at the end of the italicized text. Worse yet, in longer texts the insertion point randomly just jumps back to the beginning of an italic section. The same thing happens with bold and probably underlined text. I'm starting to give up using these styles just to avoid the bugs, but I don't like how my posts turn out.

Still, my real concern is how these bugs affect forum newcomers. The web is a big place; many visitors may decide to hang out elsewhere if they find usingenglish.com too frustrating to use.
    Last edited by GoesStation; 17-Apr-2017 at 14:15. Reason: Fix a mis-spelled word.
    I am not a teacher.

9. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

As promised, here's a sample of what can happen when the editor loses the insertion point. I had typed "alphabet" in italics, then continued typing "in a good dictionary." I decided to insert "and counting." I typed "and", clicked the Italics button, and typed "cou". I stopped when I noticed that my newly-typed letters were inserted at the end of the line.

++++++++++++++ What the editor left me with ++++++++++++++

Look closely at posts 2 and 3, noting especially which noun is singular and which is plural.

Look up alphabet and in a good dictionary. cou

++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

I'm a developer and I understand that software has bugs. My concern is that users have short fuses. It only takes a few fumbles for someone to give up on a site.
    I am not a teacher.

10. Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Thanks for your concern GoesStation. Of course we share your fears, however you should know that a) the bug seems to be specific to, and originates from, the Chrome browser as noted at various times before, and b) the forum software is provided by a 3rd-party company. This sadly leaves us with very little we can do to resolve the issues of which you are complaining. We are doing our best to find a solution, such as upgrading the forum itself, but there are potential issues with this approach too such as loss of forum functionality etc.

I understand it's frustrating, but please be patient. If it troubles you then may I suggest using Firefox or another browser of choice in the mean time?