Question 2 difficult questions

first of all thank you very much for your last answer about the 2 sentences which I`ve read in " getting on in english"by john hycraft . secondly( or should I say second?),I`d like to ask 2 questions if you don`t mind...
    1- would you kindly explain this grammar for me" the future progressive is used to ask impersonal questios,e.g.will you be teaching us tomorrow?"& what does " impersonal questions" mean?
    2-explain this grammar & illustrate with as many difficult examples as possiple, the grammar says " past perfect progressive emphasizes the duration of an activity that was in progress befor another time in the past"

Re: 2 difficult questions

I know the answer to the second question only, so trying my best to explain that....

Past perfect pregressive means some thing (some sort of work) that was done in a continuous manner in the past but is not done now.

like you were going to school till your 10th standard and now you have completed your schooling and presently involved in a business or sth like that.

In that case you can say that "I had been going to school before my college days".

Past perfect progressive is used to indicate a continuous period in the past (past means somthing which is not done now).

ex:-2
    I had been an assiduous and meticulous person before I got a job.

In the above example I now considered myself as a bit lazy as compared to myself before I got a job.

Hoping that I have made my point clear to you and it is making sense to you.

2. sheena55ro

Re: 2 difficult questions

Quote Originally Posted by bayan said
    first of all thank you very much for your last answer about the 2 sentences which I`ve read in " getting on in english"by john hycraft . secondly( or should I say second?),I`d like to ask 2 questions if you don`t mind...
    1- would you kindly explain this grammar for me" the future progressive is used to ask impersonal questios,e.g.will you be teaching us tomorrow?"& what does " impersonal questions" mean?
    2-explain this grammar & illustrate with as many difficult examples as possiple, the grammar says " past perfect progressive emphasizes the duration of an activity that was in progress befor another time in the past"

Answers :
    "secondly" is correct- you are supposed to use the adverb here, not the adjective: a second chance [adj]; secondly [adv] , I would like to tell you that...

1.Future I Progressive puts emphasison the course of an action taking place in the future
    form : he will be taking, etc..
    use :
    a] action that is going on at a certain time in the future
    b] action that is sure to happen in the near future
    e.g.:
    This time next week we`ll be sitting on the beach

2. Future II Progressive puts emphasis on the course/duration of an action taking place before a certain time in the future. It can also be used to express an assumption regarding a future action. It is not used very often as it can usually be replaced by future II simple.
    form : he will have been talking
    use :
    a] action taking place before a certain time in the future
    b] puts emphasis on the course of an action

e.g. By the end of the week I will have been working here for four months

2] Past perfect continuous[ progressive] tense

use:
    actions which continued up to a certain point in the past
    e.g.He had been trying to start the car before the mechanic arrived.
    The dog was all wet. He/It had been running for miles.They had been discussing that question for two hours when the chairman suddenly closed the meeting.

All the best
    Last edited by sheena55ro; 17-Jul-2006 at 18:48.