Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I was working in a hotel for two years when i was a student.

Can I use past continuous when I talked about an action that happened in the past in a period time or should I use past perfect continuous and can you tell me if my sentences and explanations are correct?

1) I was working in a hotel for two years when I was a student. ( I worked in the hotel for 2 years and when I was working there I was a student.)

2) I had been working in a hotel for two years when I was a student. ( I started working there in the past and keep working there until I became a student.)
    Last edited by ercantuncer; 23-Mar-2017 at 01:00.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I was working in a hotel for two years when i was a student.

Before we continue, please click on Edit Post, and capitalise the word "I" each time you have used it, then click Save.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

3. Junior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Before we continue, please click on Edit Post, and capitalise the word "I" each time you have used it, then click Save.
    I have edited my post.Can you answer my questions?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by ercantuncer View Post
    Can I use ​the past continuous when I talked talk about an action that happened in the past in a specific period of time or should I use the past perfect continuous? and Can you tell me if my sentences and explanations are correct?

1) I was working in a hotel for two years when I was a student. (I worked in the hotel for 2 years and when I was working there I was a student.)

2) I had been working in a hotel for two years when I was a student. (I started working there in the past and keep kept working there until I became a student.)
    Please note my changes above. Don't put a space after an opening bracket. Neither sentence needs any form of the continuous.

I worked in a hotel for two years when I was a student.

In addition, your second sentence's explanation is wrong. If you worked there before you were a student and kept working there until you were a student, then you stopped working there when you became a student.

I was [already] working in a hotel when I became a student. ​(That suggests that you continued working there even after you became a student.)
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.