Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting.

I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting that is why I came there earlier than the decided time.

I knew that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" call that is why I waited for your call.

Please check my sentences. Is my usage of these modals correct here?

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting.

The second sentence is correct with any one of the modals you proposed.

The first is a run-on sentence which should be divided into two.
    I am not a teacher.

3. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The second sentence is correct with any one of the modals you proposed.

The first is a run-on sentence which should be divided into two.
    I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting. That is why I came there earlier than the decided time.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I came earlier than we'd agreed because I thought you would be waiting for me.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    I thought that you "would" or "must" or "may" or "might" or "should" be waiting. That is why I came there earlier than the decided time.
    Would, must or might are possible in the first sentence.
    I am not a teacher.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

There's a lack of logic in your sentence (again!) If you had already agreed a time to meet (let's say 2pm), why would you think that the other person would already be waiting before 2pm?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

7. VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    There's a lack of logic in your sentence (again!) If you had already agreed a time to meet (let's say 2pm), why would you think that the other person would already be waiting before 2pm?
    If I may say, there could be various reasons. There's no lack of logic, as I see it.

8. VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If that person walks into a friend of his on his way to the place where he has to meet the other guy and he starts having a word and loses track of time and after some time when he checks time he realises that he has got late and leaves in a hurry but gets late and reaches there after 2 PM then that person can say this thing to the person he has to meet after meeting him (although please exclude the "earlier" part).

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by tufguy View Post
    If Let's say that that person someone walks bumps into a friend of his on his way to the place where he has to meeting the another guy at 2pm, and he starts having a word chat, and loses track of time and after some time when he checks the time, he realises that he has got is late. and He leaves in a hurry but gets late and reaches there but arrives after 2 PM. then That person can say this thing to the person he has to meet after when he meeting meets him. (although please exclude the "earlier" part).
    That was a very long single sentence, tufguy! I've done my best with it. I think this is basically what you're saying:

Bob is due to meet Fred at 2pm. On his way to the meeting, he bumps into John and gets chatting. He suddenly realises he's late so he rushes to meet Fred but arrives late. When he gets there, he says "Sorry I'm late! I bumped into John and lost track of time."

He wouldn't be able to say what you said in post #1.