Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
One day lord Ganesha and karthik batted that who was the best amonst them. They went to their parents lord Shiva and his wife Parvati to ask that who was better. So they discussed and decided that whoever amongst them would come back after "going round" or visiting all the religious places will win. To win Karthik rushed towards the holy places but Ganesha stood by their parents. He just revolved around his parents and said that he had visited all the holy places and won. It means parents are equal to god for children and should be requested. There is a saying that god couldn't be present every where so he created mom.

Please check my sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
One day lord Ganesha and karthik batted
Take a look at hot the word "bet" is used, especially as a noun. Look through the example sentences and model your own sentence accordingly.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bet

There is a saying that god couldn't be present every where so he created mom.
You've been repeated told that sayings/proverbs/idioms do not translate well and often do not have a close equivalent in another language. Try to google the meaning/essence of that proverb and you might find something suitable in English. If you can't find anything, then you need to indicate the language from which it comes. For example,
There's a saying in Hindi that God couldn't be present everywhere so he created mother.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Take a look at hot the word "bet" is used, especially as a noun. Look through the example sentences and model your own sentence accordingly.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/bet

You've been repeated told that sayings/proverbs/idioms do not translate well and often do not have a close equivalent in another language. Try to google the meaning/essence of that proverb and you might find something suitable in English. If you can't find anything, then you need to indicate the language from which it comes. For example,
There's a saying in Hindi that God couldn't be present everywhere so he created mother.

One day lord Ganesha and karthik betted that who was the best amonst them. Is this sentence correct now?

No, it is okay I know that it is very hard to translate idioms from one language to other. I am not bothered about the sayings. Could you please check my sentences?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
One day lord Ganesha and karthik betted that who was the best amonst them.
1- I don't know much about Hindu mythology, but you need to use Lord Ganesha and (Lord) Karthik.
2- There's a "g" in "amongst."
3- I don't think you read any of the example sentences in the link above, because if you'd read them, you wouldn't have come up with the pattern "betted that who" which doesn't exist!
4- Use "bet" instead of "betted" in any new sentence.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1- I don't know much about Hindu mythology, but you need to use Lord Ganesha and (Lord) Karthik.
2- There's a "g" in "amongst."
3- I don't think you read any of the example sentences in the link above, because if you'd read them, you wouldn't have come up with the pattern "betted that who" which doesn't exist!
4- Use "bet" instead of "betted" in any new sentence.

One day Lord Ganesha and karthik (Karthik is not considered a god) bet that who was the best amongst them. Is this sentence correct now?

How about rest of the sentences? Could you please check those as well?

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Sorry, for not checking the link that you provided. I do check the links that you guys provide but this time I couldn't check it sorry for that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry (no comma needed here) for not checking the link that you provided. I do check the links that you guys provide but this time I couldn't check it. Sorry for that.

We bet on​ things.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Competed for supremacy?

Status