Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Talking Need help with writing an epitaph on fathers headstone-suggestions? Read below

Hi my English major friends-we have to tell Ft Sam what to place on my dads headstone- they will place his name, rank, branch of service, date of birth and death on there. We want the words "Beloved Husband and Father" or "Remembered with love", or "Beloved Husband and Father, remembered with love." Is that redundant? Thoughts?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Need help with writing an epitaph on fathers headstone-suggestions? Read below

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgr View Post
    Hi​. my English major friends- We have to tell Ft Sam what to place on my dads headstone - they will place his name, rank, branch of service, date of birth and death on there. We want the words "Beloved Husband and Father" or "Remembered with love", or "Beloved Husband and Father, remembered with love." Is that redundant? Thoughts?
    Welcome to the forum, , and my condolences for your loss.

Either of your suggestions sound fine to me although, as I think you probably identified, there is a repetition of "love" in "Beloved" and "love". You could change "Beloved" to "Adored", or use "Beloved husband and father, remembered forever". However, you should have inscribed whatever you and your family really feel.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: Need help with writing an epitaph on fathers headstone-suggestions? Read below

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgr View Post
    to tell Fr Sam what to place on my dad's headstone

4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

OP was undoubtedly referring to Fort Sam Houston, Texas, commonly known as "Fort Sam". The American abbreviation should have a period: Ft. Sam.
    I am not a teacher.

5. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

You could also use something like fondly remembered to avoid the repetition.