Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi teechr, can you please check the following sentences? Thank you.

Short Summary

1. Based on a true story, it is about a team of choral speakers from St John school and the team's journey that filled with various struggles and challenges to win the competition.

2. Based on a true story of Erin Gruwell, an English teacher at St John school who is determined to set up a choral speaking team with various struggles and challenges to win the competition.

Long summary
This inspiring tale is based on story of Erin Gruwell, a determined English teacher, and her students from St. Paul a school which has low English proficiency and academic performance. However, the teacher found her way to teach the students to read and write the language and even forms a choral speaking team and prepares them for a district level competition. The journey that the team goes through to win the competition is full of struggle and challenges.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Short Summary

1. Based on a true story, [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] the movie/play/novel is about a [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] group of choral speakers from St John's School and the [STRIKE]team's journey that filled with[/STRIKE] various struggles and challenges they face on their way to winning the competition.

2. The movie/play is based on the true story of Erin Gruwell, an English teacher at St John's School, who is determined to set up a choral speaking [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] group, [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] despite various struggles and challenges, to win the competition.

Long summary
This inspiring tale is based on the story of Erin Gruwell, a determined English teacher, and her students from St. Paul [I thought it was St John's.], a school which has low English proficiency and academic performance. However, [STRIKE]the teacher found[/STRIKE] Grunwell finds her way to teaching the students to read and write the language and even forms a choral speaking [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] group and prepares them for a district-level competition. The journey that they [STRIKE]team[/STRIKE] go through to winning the competition is full of struggle and challenges.
If you don't want your last sentence to focus on the negatives, change it to, e.g.,
They go on to win that competition, against all odds.

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
it the movie/play/novel is about a team group .

Hi teechr, question: If a movie plot takes place below the poster, do I still need to mention "the movie/play/novel"?

Gaya87

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Malaysia
Based on a true story.../ based on the true story

I can see that in the first sentence you didn't change "a" to "the" which is "Based on a true story". So, it supposed to be "Based on a or Based on the"?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi teechr, question: If a movie plot takes place below the poster, do I still need to mention "the movie/play/novel"?
You need something other than "it". Try "story" too.

I can see that in the first sentence you didn't change "a" to "the" which is "Based on a true story". So, it supposed to be "Based on a or Based on the"?
It is correct as I've written it. In the first, we use "a" because we are talking about some (unspecified) story. In the second, we use "the" because we are talking about a particular story-- that of Erin Gruwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.