Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,073
    #1

    phone through his name

    "Karl the reformed street kid from Dresden had tracked him down and, having phoned through his name and whereabouts, kept a silent watch on him from an adjoining table."

    Would you please explain what it means by "phone through his name"?

    https://books.google.com.tr/books?id...table.&f=false

    Thank you.

  2. Moderator
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 26,912
    #2

    Re: phone through his name

    '... having phoned through his name and whereabouts' means he passed on the information by telephone to his boss/supervisor..

    It's not clear whether he passed on his own name or that of his quarry.

  3. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,646
    #3

    Re: phone through his name

    The phrase includes a phrasal verb "to phone through". (It's clear that the narrator is using this as a phrasal verb but I don't think I've ever seen it before.) Before the time being narrated, the reformed street kid had told someone the name and location of the person he's watching; he phoned the information through to the other person.
    I am not a teacher.

  4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,073
    #4

    Re: phone through his name

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    The phrase includes a phrasal verb "to phone through". (It's clear that the narrator is using this as a phrasal verb but I don't think I've ever seen it before.) Before the time being narrated, the reformed street kid had told someone the name and location of the person he's watching; he phoned the information through to the other person.
    Whereabouts=somebody's current location?
    Reformed=formerly?

    I am stumped with "reformed". It made me think it means "formerly" and it's clear that it derives from a historical-religional term and the movement with the same name, the Reform.

    Which of the definitions in the link fit with "reformed street kid."?

    https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/se...tml?q=reformed

    Thank you.

  5. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,646
    #5

    Re: phone through his name

    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    Whereabouts=somebody's current location?
    Reformed=formerly?

    I am stumped with "reformed". It made me think it means "formerly" and it's clear that it derives from a historical-religional term and the movement with the same name, the Reform.

    Which of the definitions in the link fit with "reformed street kid."?

    https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/se...tml?q=reformed
    Definition 2 fits: "Improved in conduct or character."
    I am not a teacher.

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 47,886
    #6

    Re: phone through his name

    "To phone through" is pretty common in BrE.

    Can you phone through my pizza order please? Tell them I'll pick it up at 7.
    I phoned through a prescription request to my doctor's surgery.
    If you phone your details through to the office this afternoon, they'll add you to the list of participants.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  7. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2,073
    #7

    Re: phone through his name

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "To phone through" is pretty common in BrE.

    Can you phone through my pizza order please? Tell them I'll pick it up at 7.
    I phoned through a prescription request to my doctor's surgery.
    If you phone your details through to the office this afternoon, they'll add you to the list of participants.
    What would have been different if you hadn't used "through" in the above examples?

    Thank you.

  8. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 12,646
    #8

    Re: phone through his name

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Can you phone through my pizza order please? Tell them I'll pick it up at 7.
    I phoned through a prescription request to my doctor's surgery.
    If you phone your details through to the office this afternoon, they'll add you to the list of participants.
    Quote Originally Posted by hhtt21 View Post
    What would have been different if you hadn't used "through" in the above examples?
    You'd have incomprehensible sentences like Can you phone my pizza order? ("Can you place a telephone call to my pizza order?").
    I am not a teacher.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2014, 16:59
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2011, 17:13
  3. [landline phone] [fixed phone]
    By sunsunmoon in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2011, 18:17
  4. cell, cellphone, cellular phone and mobile phone
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-Oct-2010, 12:30
  5. Question regarding phone bill payment, when call phone company.
    By michael281001 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2010, 23:08

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •