Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Situation 5) You are a salesperson in a gift shop. You need to get something out of a display case now. However, you are unable to get into the case because a customer is standing in the way and blocking your path.
a) Excuse me. I need to get to the case behind you.
b) Excuse me. Could you clear the way? I have to get things out of the display case.
c) Excuse me. If it’s not too much trouble, might I get into that display case?

What would you say as an American or British native speaker in this situation?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In truth, I wouldn't use any of them but that's not because they're wrong. They're all grammatically correct and, if you asked enough people, you'd probably find someone who would choose a), someone who would choose b) and someone who would use c).

In my opinion, c) is a little old-fashioned. My (late) grandfather, who was born in 1921, used the "Might I ..." construction but people of later generations are far less likely to use it.

b) doesn't need "Could you clear the way?" "Could you move out of the way/Could you step aside?" might work.

Like Rover, I would choose a) if I had to choose one of them. In reality, I would probably say "Excuse me. I need to get something out of that cabinet. Can I reach past you?/Could you just step aside a little? Thanks."

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In real life, I would just say "excuse me." That should be enough for the other person to step aside.

Status
Not open for further replies.