Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

"After the bad experience, Kevin decided to walk down to the downtown and play some coins at the video arcades. When he was walking down the stairs close to his home, he found a stone that called his attention. The stone resembled a crystal receiving rays from the sun. The various edges of the asymmetric stone adopted different colors that seem to follow different paths but they finally join to converge."

Thanks.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

After the bad experience, Kevin decided to walk downtown and play some video games at the video arcade.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have trouble understanding the rest of it.

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear Tarheel:

First of all, thanks for your answer. I will try to explain the next sentences.

When he was walking down the stairs close to his home, he found a stone that called his attention. The stone resembled a crystal receiving rays from the sun. The various edges of the asymmetric stone adopted different colors that seem to follow different paths but they finally join to converge.

Kevin was walking on the streets. He was walking from a hill of the city to the downtown, so he use the city stairs. There he found a special stone.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear Tarheel:

First of all, thanks for your answer. I will try to explain the next sentences.

When he was walking down the [STRIKE]stairs[/STRIKE] ​steps close to his home, [STRIKE]he found[/STRIKE] a stone [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]called[/STRIKE] drew his attention. The stone [STRIKE]resembled[/STRIKE] looked like a crystal and it was [STRIKE]receiving[/STRIKE] bathed in the rays from the sun. The [STRIKE]various[/STRIKE] edges of the asymmetrical stone [STRIKE]adopted[/STRIKE] took on different colors that seemed to follow different paths but they finally joined to converge (you need more words after this - the colours converged in what?).

Kevin was walking on [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]streets[/STRIKE] a street (or through the streets"). He was walking from a hill [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in the city to the downtown area, so he used the city [STRIKE]stairs[/STRIKE] steps. It was there that he found a special stone.

Thanks.

For something to resemble "a crystal receiving rays from the sun", "a crystal receiving rays from the sun" would need to be something that is instantly identifiable, something people can immediately conjure up an image of. I don't think it is.

"Receiving rays from the sun" isn't natural. Crystals don't "receive" anything.

See my suggested changes above.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It is unusual, but sometimes at some places the sidewalk (pavement) is a a series of steps. Is that the kind of thing you are talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.