• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

It sees you through

Hello,

Can anybody tell me what the author means by the bold text?

‘I was a gentleman’s servant when I began,’ he set off; ‘first boot-boy under a valet, then footman and helping at table, then pantry work and so on. Never married or anything of that; petticoats are nothing but encumbrances in the house. But I must say if you keep yourself to yourself, it sees you through – in time. What you have to beware of is those of your own calling. Domestic. That’s the same everywhere; nobody’s reached much past the cat-and-dog stage in that. Not if you look close enough; high or low. I lost one or two nice easy places all on that account. Jealousy. And if you don’t stay where you are put there’s precious little chance of pickings when the funeral’s at the door. But that’s mostly changed, so I’m told; high wages and no work being the order of the day; and gratitude to follow suit. They are all rolling stones nowadays, and never mind the moss.’

Crewe, Walter de la Mare, 1936

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 21-Apr-2017 at 17:32. Reason: Removed unnecessary line breaks.
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

2. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: It sees you through

But I must say if you keep yourself to yourself, that should ensure that you survive – in time.
    What you have to beware of is those of your own calling. Domestic. That’s the same everywhere; everybody is still at the stage of considering everybody else their enemy/rival in that. Not if you look close enough; it does not matter how senior or junior the position of the person/people you consider. I lost one or twonice easy places all on that account. Jealousy.