nationality

Please tell me.
    When somebody asks you "What's your nationality", which is the correct way to answer? Japan or Japanese?

Re: nationality

I think the answer is Japanese.

Smile Re: nationality

"I am Japanese" is the answer, if the question is "what is your nationality?"

However, if someone asks, 'where are you from?', the correct answer would be, 'I am from Japan.'

Rachna

Thank you very much
    One more little question.
    When someone asks something by "What is...", it seems correct to me to answer by "It is (noun)".
    I'm not doubting that we should anser "I'm Japanese", I believe it's correct, but this keeps me wondering.
    Does it sound strange if I answer "It's Japan (Japanese)"?

Quote Originally Posted by pink dragon
    Does it sound strange if I answer "It's Japan (Japanese)"?
    To the question: What is your nationality?
    The answer is : I am Japanese.
    Japanese is :
    A native or inhabitant of Japan.
    A person of Japanese ancestry.

Japan is a country of Asia not a term to describe a person who was born there.

4. sheena55ro

nationality : Japanese, Chinese, French, German , Dutch, etc...

As a conclusion, the answer should be :

I am Japanese.

"It`s Japan" is used as an answer to the question :"What`s your country ?"

Where do you come from? I come from Japan.

All the best,
    Last edited by sheena55ro; 20-Jul-2006 at 20:09.

Thank you very much.
    Sorry to be persistent, but I want to understand.
    The remaining question is:
    when somebody asks a question by "What is (noun)?", isn't it grammatically correct to answer by "It is (noun) ", apart from how it is actually spoken?

Could anybody answer by Yes or No please?

(But I know you don't have to say "It's teaching" and you can answer "I'm a teacher" instead, when somebody asks "What is your job?"...
    Of course people understand the meaning even if you don't answer by "It is...", but it seems a little bit wierd for a non-native speaker.)

Quote Originally Posted by pink dragon
    Thank you very much.
    Sorry to be persistent, but I want to understand.
    The remaining question is:
    when somebody asks a question by "What is (noun)?", isn't it grammatically correct to answer by "It is (noun) ", apart from how it is actually spoken?
    Could anybody answer by Yes or No please?
    (But I know you don't have to say "It's teaching" and you can answer "I'm a teacher" instead, when somebody asks "What is your job?"...
    Of course people understand the meaning even if you don't answer by "It is...", but it seems a little bit wierd for a non-native speaker.)
    The person asking the question What is your nationality? wants an adjective for an answer, not a noun. What is your nationality? should be 'translated' as 'which adjective of nationality modifies (the pronoun) you?' 'What is A nationality?' is grammatically 'What is (noun)?', with the answer, 'it is an adjective, which...'
    The usual answer is either just adjective (eg 'Japanese') or pronoun = adjective ('I am Japanese'). "It (my nationality) is Japanese" is grammatically correct, but would sound very strange.
    For example, the question what colour is your car? could be answered by 'it is red' but the it replaces my car, and not the colour. Consider the longer answers: 'my car is red' is fine, but 'the colour is red' sounds robotic, impersonal, and even patronising.