Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

In the following paragraph, Could you please paraphrase the sentence "Even when their conversational acrobatics fail and the subject arises anyway, they stay within a very narrow subject of warning signs"?

Most of the time, people try to avoid talking about what happened. Even when their conversational acrobatics fail and the subject arises anyway, they stay within a very narrow subject of warning signs… specifically, warning signs that I somehow missed."

Source: A Mother's Confession, by Kelly Rimmer

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why do you need to paraphrase it? Why do you think we should do it?

ida2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi emsr2d2,
I am translating that mentioned book, and I need some native to paraphrase that sentence so that I can understand its concept better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We like learners to make their own attempt first. Which parts specifically are you having trouble understanding?

ida2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I understood this part "Even when their conversational acrobatics fail and the subject arises anyway," but I need paraphrasing yet in order to find better equivalents.

However, this part is fairly vague to me: "they stay within a very narrow subject of warning signs
"; especially, I can not understand that the word "subject" refers to what exactly.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Are you sure it's not "within the very narrow subject" instead?

ida2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Most of the time, people try to avoid talking about what happened. Even when their conversational acrobatics fail and the subject arises anyway, they stay within the very narrow subject of warning signs … specifically, warning signs that I somehow missed."
Even when their evasive tactics fail, and the topic comes up in the conversation, they only talk about warning signs, especially signs that I did not spot before.

Status
Not open for further replies.