Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
The facts about "have" and "have got" in the United Kingdom.

The facts about "have" and "have got" in the United Kingdom.
Hi, native BrE speakers!, I have researched this topic from other english websites about have and have got! And it is kind of observation.
I am really confused now, so I've found that :

Facts :

A. Have got is only used in the present and in the past form and it uses "have/has" as its auxiliary. Ex. I have got / I haven't got / have I got ?

B. the plain "have" is used in all tenses and it uses "do" as its auxiliary. Ex. I do not have / do I have ? / I have or I do have.

C. Have got cannot be combined with the modal verbs such as :must,may,might,can,etc, and can't be combined with to+infinitive.
ex.I may have (got) to make it. & I want to have (got) a baby boy. Is it correct / fine with/without "got" in BrE ? And, is it fine if I use with/without got in BrE?
To me, if I use it with "got" e.g. I may have got a drum, so it refers to the past of the modals, and the meaning is I may have obtained that drum, so, I may have visited Cuba in 1987,it refers to the past form .

D. Only the plain "have" can be combined with the modal verbs & it can be combined with to+infinitive. Ex. I may have to make it / I want to have a baby boy.
is it correct without/with "got" in BrE ?

E. Have got and the plain "have" are used in BrE. (Do you BrE natives use both ?,could you explain to me, the differences between them ?), I researched, that have is more formal in British English than have got, have got is more informal.

F. The pattern

Have got : I have got.. & I haven't got..& have I got ? (in the negatives, haven't I got ?)
Have : I do have.. / I have.. & I don't have.. & do I have ? ( negative, don't I have ?)

3.past : I had got /(I did have) I had & I hadn't got /I didn't have & had I got (hadn't I got ?), did I have ? ( didn't I have ?)

G. have got isn't be used in the adverbs of frequency (often,usually,often,etc.) and it is not used in gerund,participle,infinitive form,and future form. ex. I have usually (got) a bad day/ I usually have a bad day.

H. And, I am very confused, do you (BrE native speakers) use both ?, could you explain both (have and have got ) in BrE ?

I. More examples : I have never got £5, I have (n't) still got to sign that contracts, I have only got £1, I have already got Sarah's mobile phone number.( I never have 5£ / l still (don't) have to sign that contracts / I only have 1£). Pattern : I have (another word : still) got to ... / I (only) have .../ I already have Sarah's mobile phone number, do/ don't I already/still/never/ever/only have to/a..? & have/haven't I never/ever/still/already/only got to/a..?, are both correct/accepted in BrE and which is more formal BrE system ?

J. Have got can't be used in the activity, such as : I have (got) dinner at 8 o'clock.

K. Are they correct In BrE ?
1. Let him have (got) a second chance, he wouldn't/won't make it again
2. He may have (got) a garage beside his house.
3. He could/must/can have (got) that book, if he has / has got a lot of money.
4 Jane wants to have (got) a child.
5. I am going to have (got) a car.
6. I am having (got) a bad day.

Are these facts correct ? I shall wait for your explanation from you, thanks in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Especially when several people have tried to answer the question

Status