Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Are 'would' and 'would you mind' different regarding the level of politeness?

You rent a room in a large house. The landlord lives in house as well. You are responsible for mowing the lawn every week, a job that takes you about two hours to do. You want the landlord to mow the lawn for you this week because you are going out of town. You are in the living room when the landlord walks in.
    a) Excuse me; I have a favor to ask you. I have to go out of town this week, so would you please mow the lawn for me?
    b) Say, Iím going out of town this week, so I wonít be able to mow the lawn. Would you mind doing it while Iím away or should we just leave it until I get back?
    c) Excuse me, Iím going out of town next week, so would you mow the lawn for me then?

Can we say'
    Would you mind doing it while Iím away' is more polite than 'would you please mow the lawn for me'?

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Are 'would' and 'would you mind' different regarding the level of politeness?

I am going out of town this week. Would it be okay if I mow the lawn when I get back?

If you have agreed to mowing the lawn every week, it is not polite to ask the landlord to do it instead.

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Are 'would' and 'would you mind' different regarding the level of politeness?

Quote Originally Posted by tulipflower View Post
    b) Say, I’m going out of town this week, so I won’t be able to mow the lawn. Would you mind doing it while I’m away or should we just leave it until I get back?

That's fine. 'Would you mind' is more appropriate than 'would you', as it suggests recognition that your request could be an imposition.