Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Id really like this apartment, but I cant wait until next week.

You have recently moved to a new city and are looking for an apartment to rent. You are looking at a place now. You like it a lot. The landlord explains that you seem like a good person for the apartment, but that there are a few more people who are interested. The landlord says that you will be called next week and told if you have the place. However, you need the landlord to tell you within the next three days.

a) Id really like this apartment, but I cant wait until next week. Is there any way you could let me know in the next 3 days?
    b) Oh, well, I really like this apartment, but I have to know a little sooner than that, if thats possible
    c) Could it be possible to find out a little earlier?

Would you please help me with the most natural option? Unfortunately, I can't decide between 'a' and 'b'.

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Which option is more natural in this situation?

Quote Originally Posted by tulipflower View Post
    You have recently moved to a new city and are looking for an apartment to rent. You are looking at a place now. You like it a lot. The landlord explains that you seem like a good person for the apartment, but that there are a few more people who are interested. The landlord says that you will be called next week and told if you have the place. However, you need the landlord to tell you within the next three days.

a) Id really like this apartment, but I cant wait until next week. Is there any way you could let me know in the next 3 days?
    b) Oh, well, I really like this apartment, but I have to know a little sooner than that, if thats possible
    c) Could it be possible to find out a little earlier?

Would you please help me with the most natural option? Unfortunately, I can't decide between 'a' and 'b'.

See above.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Id really like this apartment, but I cant wait until next week.

Tulipflower, I have changed your thread title so that it contains some of the words you are asking us about. Titles should be specific and unique to the thread they are attached to.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

4. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg927 View Post
    a) I’d really like this apartment, but I can’t wait until next week. Is there any way you could let me know in the next 3 days?
    Your striking of the 'd changes the meaning of the utterance. You version is correct grammatically, but the original is fine.

5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I prefer to use the present tense in that situation. "I really like this apartment" means I am here looking at this apartment and at this moment I really like it. "I'd really like the apartment" is of course correct but it sounds rather distant. I guess it comes to personal preferences and the student can certainly choose either.

6. VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by andrewg927 View Post
    . "I'd really like the apartment" is of course correct but it sounds rather distant. I guess it comes to personal preferences and the student can certainly choose either.
    It is not more distant. It is expressing a desire to take the apartment.