• Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

- ed Adjective problem

Hello this is mark

i have just learnt The -ed Adjective structure

but i am still confused between the passive voice and -ed form

For example - Strained, the meaning of adjective is similar to " nervous", in passive voice, it will be like " be strained "

Example:
    I am strained << this sentence can be defined as passive voice. also, it can be '-ED ADJ'

my problem is how/when i can use ED ADJ and how i can recognize whether it is using passive voice or ED ADJ ?

2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: - ed Adjective problem

If I say "I would like some iced tea," it is clear that the "iced" is an adjective.

In cases where the word is found in a predicate, like "These blankets were woven by native craftsmen," what "woven" is is really a matter of a system of classification.

As long as you understand the meaning, why does it matter if "woven" is a "predicate adjective" (that follows a "linking verb") or if "was woven" is a passive voice?

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: - ed Adjective problem

Quote Originally Posted by Markchoi1992 View Post
    Hello, this is Mark.

I have just learnt the -ed adjective structure but I am still confused between the passive voice and the -ed form.

For example, with "strained", the meaning of the adjective is similar to "nervous", but in the passive voice, it will be is like " be strained".

For example:
    "I am strained." <<
    This sentence can be defined as passive voice. also, Can it can also be an '-ED ADJ' -ed adjective?

My problem is how/when can I can use an ED ADJ -ed adjective and how can I can recognize whether it is using I am seeing/hearing/reading the passive voice or ED ADJ an -ed adjective?
    Please see my corrections above. It is important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
    - End every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.
    - Always capitalise the word "I" (first person singular).
    - Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
    - Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.

Part of the problem with your question is that "I am strained" is not a natural English sentence, nor does "strained" mean "nervous". "I am strained" is also not in the passive voice. You didn't give an example sentence with "strained" in the passive voice. Can you use a more basic verb for your examples?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.