Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

"I've written a book on Urdu literature".

Hello all,

I have been studying present perfect from a few days now and I really get confused sometimes when I hear some native speakers. I try to match those sentences with the present perfect rule and sometimes those sentences don't fit in those rules.
    I have learnt that present perfect should have some connection with the present and also read that it can be used to say about an event that has accourred sometime in the past where the time is not important or unknown.
    I want to know if I can say or write this below sentence.
    "I've wriiten a book on Urdu literature".
    Here I dont know the exact time when the event has occured nor do I think the time is important.
    I would just like to say this to a person who is may be interviewing me or may be having a chat with me.

Can I use present perfect for normal scenarios where I dont wish to give time periods and the action got completed sometime in the past. Or does it have to have a present context attached to it always.

My apologies if I am not clear as I am confused like anything.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by farhankhan2007; 29-Apr-2017 at 14:39.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: "I've wriiten a book on Urdu literature".

Your sentence in incorrect because "written" is spelled incorrectly. However, the tense you have used is perfectly acceptable.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: "I've written a book on Urdu literature".

Quote Originally Posted by farhankhan2007
    Can I use present perfect for normal scenarios where I don[B
    '[/B]t wish to give time periods and the action got completed sometime in the past. Or does it have to have a present context attached to it always?
    There is always some connection with the present. In your case, the writing of the book is part of your whole-life experience that extends up to the present and has a degree of relevance to the present you.

If you were famous as an authority on, for example, horror films but, many years ago, had written a book on Urdu literature that is long out of print and has no relevance to your present career, then the present perfect would not normally be appropriate. You'd say "I wrote a book on Urdu literature once".
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 30-Apr-2017 at 01:24.

4. Junior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

So can we connect future incidents with the present perfect? Like this one for example "Scientists have discovered a medicine which would help us cure some deadly diseases". Or may be this one "Once you have finished your work we can go out for dinner".

I have also read in newspapers wherein present perfect is used to write about news (finished actions) and is followed by a past tense.
    Example " A driver has crashed his car, he ran into a pole".

5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by farhankhan2007 View Post
    Hello all,

I have been studying the present perfect from for a few days now and I really get confused sometimes when I hear some native speakers. I try to match those sentences with the present perfect rules and sometimes those sentences don't fit in with those rules.

I have learnt that the present perfect should have some connection with the present and also read that it can be used to say about an event that has accourred occurred sometime in the past where the time is not important or unknown.

I want to know if I can say or write this below sentence.

"I've wriiten written a book on Urdu literature".

Here I dont don't know the exact time when the event has occured occured nor do I think the time is important.

I would just like to say this to a person who is may be interviewing me or may be having a chat with me.

Can I use the present perfect for normal scenarios where I dont don't wish to give the time periods and the action got completed sometime in the past. Or does it have to have a present context always attached to it always. ?

My apologies if I am not as clear as I am confused like anything.

Thankyou Thank you.
    See above for corrections.