Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: (river) views

  1. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Serbia
      • Current Location:
      • Serbia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 182
    #1

    (river) views

    All the main rooms have river views.
    The house is on three floors and has a terraced garden with river views.

    These sentences are examples from a dictionary. I'd like to know if I can use "views" in the same way with other nouns. For example:
    I have a room with buildings views.
    I have a big garden with mountain views.
    My house has trees views.
    My room has theatre views.
    All the rooms in my flat have park views.

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 14,674
    #2

    Re: (river) views

    Quote Originally Posted by Meja View Post
    All the main rooms have river views.
    The house is on three floors and has a terraced garden with river views.

    These sentences are examples from a dictionary. I'd like to know if I can use "views" in the same way with other nouns. For example:
    I have a room with buildings views.
    I have a big garden with mountain views.
    My house has trees views.

    My room has theatre views.

    All the rooms in my flat have park views.
    See above. "Park views" is rather unnatural but not impossible. I once saw a real-estate ad in the Los Angeles Times for a house with "a view that relates to the ocean," so these terms can be as flexible as the imaginations of real-estate agents.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Serbia
      • Current Location:
      • Serbia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 182
    #3

    Re: (river) views

    Thanks!
    So again there's no rule.

    Are these possible:

    My room has hill views.

    My room has sea views.

    My room has ocean views.

    My room has lake views.

    My room has city centre views.

    Another question is why we don't use an article before "river" in the original examples (or before "mountain" in mine). Do these nouns function as adjectives in these examples?
    Last edited by Meja; 01-May-2017 at 16:53. Reason: typo

  4. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 14,674
    #4

    Re: (river) views

    Your sentences are all possible. "City-center" (AmE spelling) requires a hyphen because it's a compound adjective. I think the rule, such as it is, is that we only use the "x view" construction for large, more-or-less natural features. (You can have a "lake view" regardless of whether the lake is natural or man-made.)

    I think X in the "x view" construction is an attributive noun, functionally equivalent to an adjective.
    I am not a teacher.

  5. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 8,599
    #5

    Re: (river) views

    city-center view sounds very odd. Possibly city view.

  6. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 14,674
    #6

    Re: (river) views

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    city-center view sounds very odd.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it in, say, an AirBnB ad for an apartment in Montmartre (Paris) with a view of the central arrondissements. The French centre-ville doesn't quite translate to "downtown"; city-center would be a likely translation for an Anglophone expatriate to choose.

    I agree that it wouldn't be natural in an American setting, where I'd expect downtown view.
    I am not a teacher.

  7. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2017
    • Posts: 1,326
    #7

    Re: (river) views

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it in, say, an AirBnB ad for an apartment in Montmartre (Paris) with a view of the central arrondissements. The French centre-ville doesn't quite translate to "downtown"; city-center would be a likely translation for an Anglophone expatriate to choose.

    I agree that it wouldn't be natural in an American setting, where I'd expect downtown view.
    Maybe a link to Wiki or a definition of an "arrondissement" would be very helpful.

  8. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2017
    • Posts: 1,326
    #8

    Re: (river) views

    The structure "a river views" would be just awkward. Here you have a singular and a plural in the same phrase. That is not natural.

  9. Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Serbo-Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Serbia
      • Current Location:
      • Serbia

    • Join Date: Aug 2015
    • Posts: 182
    #9

    Re: (river) views

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg927 View Post
    The structure "a river views" would be just awkward. Here you have a singular and a plural in the same phrase. That is not natural.
    I actually had in mind the definite article. It sounds better without articles to me, too, but I don't know why we don't use any.

  10. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 14,674
    #10

    Re: (river) views

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg927 View Post
    Maybe a link to Wiki or a definition of an "arrondissement" would be very helpful.
    Sorry. I looked at what I'd written and thought "I really ought to define that." Then I proceeded not to define it.

    An arrondissement​ is a legal district of a city. You could translate it as "borough", but it's usually just left as-is as a loan word.
    I am not a teacher.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •