Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've narrowed down my options to these two types of essays.

I would like to start with an informative essay then move onto a persuasive essay.

Where do I start? So far I researched a lot of information on the topic which is about feeding the reef aquarium live food.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Okay, so for your informative, you need to decide what the topic of the essay will be. What question is it answering? Try to be precise and concise.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Topic is about live plankton. And the question I would like to answer is, on how it can benefit the home aquarium over other foods.

How live phytoplankton and copepods can benefit the home aquarium over other foods?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
How live phytoplankton and copepods can benefit the home aquarium.
Use that.
Now decide on two or three main benefits you'd like to outline.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
1 They are more nutritious then other foods
2 They clean the tank up of organics such as uneaten fish food and fish feces.
3 They are alive, so they do not contribute to inorganics such as Phosphate and Nitrate like frozen or dry food does.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Let's take these one at a time and make a topic sentence out of each.
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods.
Now you need to elaborate on that, and as you do so be more and more specific. In other words, we follow a general-to-specific style, with the more specific examples towards the end of the paragraph.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Elaborate how?

Is what I have so far the four topic sentences with controlling ideas, and now I need to come up with three reasons and a conclusion for each of the four sentences, To make them into paragraphs?

Today I am going to share some information about live phytoplankton and copepods and how they are more beneficial than other foods

?

Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. They Clean the tank of organics such as uneaten fish food and feces. and since they are alive They do not contribute to inorganics such as Nitrate and Phosphate like frozen and dry fish food does.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Elaborate how?
Explain the topic sentence by giving details and specifics/examples.

Is what I have so far the four topic sentences with controlling ideas, and now I need to come up with three reasons and a conclusion for each of the four sentences, To make them into paragraphs?
What you have are three potential topic sentences. Let's just deal with the one I amended in post #6. Try writing a paragraph about that.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

So I just add post 5 to it?

I am mickey mouse learner thanks for your help, I am a mix between grade school and high school at the moment, lol.

I have, 3 books that I am going to read about essays now. I hope to bring that knowledge from them to here.

I am the type of person that could progress fast through grade school to college to university with in a few years with the right tutor and I hope I found him? or if I can find one that can teach me cheaply.

I would be greatly appreciative if anyone helped me, and I am willing to pay a small amount for a lot of help, it's one of those things that would be nice.

I'm not sure how things work here? but I would like a tutor at a reasonable price? the person would want to be fairly paid but willing to just accept the pride in knowing that they made a person achieve their dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
We are volunteers on this site, and we do not charge any money for what we do. :)

No, you should not add the rest of post #5 to it, because the other two sentences in post #5 can serve as topic sentences for separate paragraphs.

----------------------------------------------
Okay, so let me give you a hypothetical example of how I would elaborate (give details and specifics) on that topic sentence.

Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are rich in proteins and essential minerals which are crucial to the health of aquarium fish and other species. Phytoplankton can provide a steady supply of various proteins such as ABCD, DEFG and FRTY. These proteins are necessary for growth as well as maintaining a healthy immune system in aquarium species. Meanwhile, copepods are an excellent source of potassium, calcium and phosphorus. Such minerals are needed for strong skeletons, healthy skin and for the proper functioning of the nervous system of most aquarium species. While it's possible to supply such nutrients by the use of large quantities of artificial foods and supplements, live phytoplankton and copepods are a far superior alternative. They are self-propagating, organic, very cost-effective and natural.

You can, of course, say more than that if you want. However, it is important not to stray outside the bounds of the topic sentence of the paragraph.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories which is an important source of energy for the consuming prey. Secondly they contain multivitamins and minerals which support the immune system. Thirdly, they are high in protein and amino acids which are the building blocks of the marine animals cells. finally, they have essential fatty acids in them which is used for sufficient diffusion of nutrients within the organisms structure and to keep the nervous system in proper condition. For these reasons live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than dead frozen or dried artificial foods.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories [STRIKE]which is[/STRIKE] and an important source of energy for the species that eat them. [STRIKE]consuming prey.[/STRIKE] Secondly, they contain multivitamins and minerals which support the immune system. Thirdly, they are high in proteins and amino acids which are the building blocks of the marine animals' cells. Finally, they have essential fatty acids in them which [STRIKE]is used for[/STRIKE] ensure [STRIKE]sufficient[/STRIKE] diffusion of sufficient nutrients within the organisms' structure and to keep the nervous system in proper condition. For these reasons, live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than dead, frozen or dried artificial foods.
That's okay, but you could probably do a bit more research and give more specific examples.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How do you mean? take the first one for example. Do I elaborate on how calories are an important source of energy and maybe name the species that eat them?

I am going to need practice on elaborating, because I am an abrupt, to the point person.

Thanks for your help. That was my first paragraph that makes sense, That I ever wrote with out copying and plagiarizing .

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories in the form of carbohydrate,
which then break down into glucose, this glucose, is an immediate source of energy for the nervous system and muscles, the
marine organisms that eats phytoplankton and copepods include; corals,sponges, fishes,chittons, worms.

The above is what I want to say, but I feel that I would have to add a period somewhere between "firstly" and "worms". Something seems wrong about it? This is raw, and I think it's is not right because I have to make it into two sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories in the form of carbohydrates,
which then break down into glucose, and this glucose is an immediate source of energy for the nervous system and muscles. The marine organisms that eat phytoplankton and copepods include corals, sponges, fishes, chittons, and worms.
See above.

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories in the form of carbohydrate which then break down into glucose, and this glucose is an immediate source of energy for the nervous system and muscles. The marine organisms that eat phytoplankton and copepods include corals, sponges, fishes, chittons and worms. Secondly, they contain multivitamins A, B, C, D, E, K and minerals such as calcium, Iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. These micro nutrients help the immune system, support normal cell growth, division and restoration.Thirdly, they are high in protein as much as 60% and amino acids which are the building blocks of marine animals cells and tissues. Protein and amino acids are mainly responsible for the animals movement and to build and repair tissues.Finally, they have essential fatty acids, EPA and DHA in them which ensure diffussion of sufficient nutrients within the organisms structure. EPA and DHA have many biological effects, most notably communication within the cells and between the cells. For these reasons, live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than dead, frozen or dried artificial foods.

Last edited:

DrBlueThumb

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I added to my informative paragraph and want to know where do I go from here? Do I turn it into an essay? or keep elaborating?what is it that I have so far, just a paragraph?Do I start a new post?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Live phytoplankton and copepods are more nutritious than other foods. Firstly, they are loaded with calories in the form of carbohydrate which then break down into glucose, and this glucose is an immediate source of energy for the nervous system and muscles. The marine organisms that eat phytoplankton and copepods include corals, sponges, fishes, chittons and worms. Secondly, they contain [STRIKE]multivitamins[/STRIKE] Vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and K, and minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. These micro nutrients help the immune system, support normal cell growth, cell division and restoration. Thirdly, they are high in proteins (as much as 60%) and amino acids which are the building blocks of marine animals' cells and tissues. Proteins and amino acids are mainly [STRIKE]responsible for[/STRIKE] useful for the animals' movement and to build and repair tissues. Finally, they have essential fatty acids, EPA and DHA, in them which ensure diffusion of sufficient nutrients within the organism's structure. EPA and DHA have many biological benefits, [STRIKE]effects,[/STRIKE] most notably facilitating communication within the cells and between the cells. For these reasons, live phytoplankton and copepods are, by far, more nutritious than dead, frozen or dried artificial foods.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I added to my informative paragraph and want to know where do I go from here? Do I turn it into an essay?
No. it is one body paragraph within your essay.

or keep elaborating?
You can, if you wish. It's up to you how long you want your body paragraphs to be.

What is it that I have so far, just a paragraph?
Yes, see above.

Do I start a new post?
You can. Use point #2 from post #5.

Status
Not open for further replies.