Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2017
    • Posts: 21

    Can I replace the [] sound with a flap [d]?

    To me, the [] and us flap [d] ( as in better), sound fairly similar. If the [] comes at the beginning of a sentence, e.g. that's right; I have no difficulty saying it. But, if it's somewhere in the middle; e.g. what's wrong with it? or See you then; I find it a little hard to say it smoothly( doesn't flow). So, in those sentences, can I use a flap(or soft) [d] instead of a []?
    Last edited by fruitninja; 03-May-2017 at 16:12. Reason: Font and font size changed, part of the text appeared smaller, I don't know why

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 14,787

    Re: Can I replace the [] sound with a flap [d]?

    Although that substitution is normal in some dialects and will usually be understood, you will have the best chance of being understood if you can master the sound.
    I am not a teacher.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts