Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"x+3=x ; -x+x+3=-x+x; 3=0 In example we get a false equation."

Algebra and Trigonometry by Keedy/Bittinger.

False have lots of meaning which one in the link does "false" fit in "false equation"?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/false

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"x+3=x" is not a correct equation. There is no number, x, that you can add 3 to and get the same number.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Time dilation is too difficult to for a beginner, man. hhtt21, if you want to use "false equation", go ahead and use it. People say "jumbo shrimp" all the time so I'm sure "false equation" is nothing in comparison.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
[strike]In example[/strike] doesn't work either.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
'False equation' is fine and natural. 'Equation' means

c Mathematics A statement asserting the equality of two expressions, usually written as a linear array of symbols that are separated into left and right sides and joined by an equal sign.

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=equation

An equation asserts the equality of two expressions. It can be as false as the assertion that Moscow is the capital of France.

(In case people are missing something, this is one of the threads in which some posts went missing during the server upgrade. They were not deliberately deleted.)
From this I have concluded a result that Americans and Brits think differently on this issue so this might be a difference between AmE and BE.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
From this I have concluded a result that Americans and Brits think differently on this issue so this might be a difference between AmE and BE.
I think that is a false conclusion. :)

In both American and British English, an equation is an assertion which can be either true or false.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have plenty of false conclusions in the UK. ;-)

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
'hhtt21', why waste so much good study time on a non-issue?. It's silly. Here's something that might interest you. Look up the equation for 'time dilation' and make a few trial calculations. It might fascinate you.

Because I want to learn good English.

Thank you.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you.

I think it's good to dig deep and gain a better understanding of the language but I side with Robert that intensely debating whether to use "false equation" won't get you very far.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'hhtt21', why waste so much good study time on a non-issue?.

This is a textbook example of a 'non sequitur'. An intense investigation of 'false equations' won't take you very far in learning good English.

I'd say Robert used non sequitur in its familiar meaning, not its formal meaning in logic. He asserted that your answer, "Because I want to learn good English", did not follow from -- i.e., was not a logical response to -- the question he asked.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'd say Robert used non sequitur in its familiar meaning, not its formal meaning in logic. He asserted that your answer, "Because I want to learn good English", did not follow from -- i.e., was not a logical response to -- the question he asked.
He says the example belongs to the textbook so it is clear that that cannot be related to my answer or I am erring?

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He says the example belongs to the textbook so it is clear that that cannot be related to my answer or I am erring?
I see where your confusion comes from here. A textbook example is an instance which, in the speaker's opinion, illustrates a point so well it could be used in a textbook.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Robert was just teasing you. You can start venturing into other venues now. This topic has been discussed ad nauseam.

Status
Not open for further replies.