Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
download.jpgdownload (1).jpg
Would you call these objects a purse in BrE and a change purse in AmE or would you use some other terms for them?

"It was a neat little voice. The owner of a voice like that kept his money in
a shovel purse and always counted his change carefully."
(T. Pratchett, Hogfather)

Is a shovel purse something like the purse with a clasp in the picture above? I didn't find the word in dictionaries and I searched for images on the Internet, but all I could see was large female bags and something like a small bag for a folding shovel.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They're change purses in American English. I've never seen the term "shovel purse" before, and Googling it shed little light.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Another dilemma I faced while typing this post was whether to use was or were in this part of the sentence: "...all I could see was large female bags and something like a small bag for a folding shovel." Is that correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They would just be called "a purse" in BrE. This is definitely a BrE vs AmE difference. A purse in AmE is a handbag in BrE.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those little change purses are also called coin purses​ in American English.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
They would just be called "a purse" in BrE. This is definitely a BrE vs AmE difference. A purse in AmE is a handbag in BrE.
Visconti-Italian-Leather-Ladies-Purse-Wallet-Brown[2].jpg

I know about this difference (a purse in AmE is a handbag in BrE), but I am not sure if a wallet and a purse can be synonyms in BrE. Could this be called a purse in BrE as well, or can we only say that it's a wallet?
No one has mentioned a shovel purse. Does that mean that it may be a term invented by the author?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's definitely a wallet in BrE.

I've never heard of a shovel purse either. Note that GoesStation mentioned it in post #2.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Sorry. I should have written that no one has mentioned that he or she has heard of it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Google did bring up one image of a similar little purse when searching for images matching "shovel purse".

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Google did bring up one image of a similar little purse when searching for images matching "shovel purse".
There were only two or three change purses among those images. You may refer to this one. (The name "a croissant purse" looks very appropriate.:))croissant-purse.png

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's a great name for it!

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Robert, there is a reason we never say "large female bags"..... Meja, be advised, never say "large female bags" to anyone at any time.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Robert, there is a reason we never say "large female bags"..... Meja, be advised, never say "large female bags" to anyone at any time.
Sorry, I was not aware that it may have some negative meaning.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Bag" (or more typically "old bag") is a pejorative word for a woman. Combining it with "female" makes for an unfortunate juxtaposition. It would be fine to say something like "women's handbags".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sorry I gave the impression that I needed this English lesson. It was obvious from the context that the subject was 'handbags'.
As this forum is aimed at people learning English, I thought it worthwhile to explain why "female bags" was a phrase to avoid.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
As this forum is aimed at people learning English, I thought it worthwhile to explain why "female bags" was a phrase to avoid.

I am thankful for the explanation(s) and all sorts of corrections. I am not good at slang in general, although I have actually heard "old bag" before. I wouldn't like to be rude to anyone, especially unintentionally.
When I reread my original post, I wasn't sure if "female bags" was a good word choice, but not because of "bags". Is it natural to use the adjective "female" in such a way or is it preferable to say "for women" or "women's"? There are a few examples in dictionaries for such usage, but not many (a female glove or female undergarments).

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
They're change purses in American English. I've never seen the term "shovel purse" before, and Googling it shed little light.

Why is "googling" capitalized?

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That was a quote, Andrew. The OP used the term in post #1. I think I'm quite up to date on present-day slang, but I don't have the foggiest idea why one shouldn't say "large female bags" ----- and I. unfortunately, live about 90 miles south of Hollywood.

In addition to what GS pointed out, some people might hear the term "large female bag" as bags for large women only. It's just not a term anyone should use in conversation (which can lead to miscommunication). Of course, I understand you referred to it as a women's handbag. But it is not wise for a non native to use such term in conversation. That's all what I meant.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Why is "googling" capitalized?

Because Google is the company with the search engine. We use it as a verb but retain it's capitalization. BTW, you don't need to capitalize it if you don't want to.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You should always capitalize the verb "to Google" as long as Google remains a proper noun. If it eventually becomes a common noun meaning "to search by means of an online engine", the verb will no longer require capitalization.

Status
Not open for further replies.