Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I tried to write something like: I don't know what meaning this word has or I don't know what difference they've got. And then, I got lost in thought.

What article do I need to use after the word "what" in the cases above? And do I need to do this? - and one more question appears here: Why haven't I placed an article before the word "article" in my question about cases above? I think I haven't done this because placing a article before the word "what" means that I express exclamination something like: What a beautiful world. After all, there are two of them as you know (articles), and according to the grammar rules about articles, if I'm not talking about a specific thing, I need to use a article. But when I write something with the word "what", it seems right to me writting no article after "what". And I think that's one of my knowledge gaps which I'm interested to get rid of

Last edited:

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To answer your first question about articles after "what". Your sentences are perfectly fine. You only place an article after what like "what a beautiful world" to express an impression. I think you only have 2 questions. If you are still confused, ask away.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Usually, the word what acts in the same way as an article, filling the same grammatical slot, so you don't need to use both together. This is when the words are determining which thing one is talking about.

When the word what comes before an indefinite article, it has a very different function, meaning something like 'how much of' (What an idiot he is = How much of an idiot he is.) This use is good for making exclamations.

Also, be aware that sometimes in indirect grammar, the word what can appear before an article. I know what a 'determiner' does.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think when you wrote "I need to use a article", you meant I need to use the article "a". I assume you're aware that "a" and "an" are variations of the same word with no difference in meaning.

I recommend that you use the terms "definite" and "indefinite article" instead of naming the words.

Status
Not open for further replies.