Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was always a "toiletries kit" in my family, but I'm not sure that's a widely-used collocation.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Vanity case" was the first word I was taught to describe this sort of bags, but I am not sure if it is used only for make-up and if it is used only by women.
Can we also use cosmetic bag and toilet bag as general terms (used by both sexes and for all types of cosmetics)?
I would understand "vanity case" to be a women's accessory. Don't use "toilet bag"; it sounds like some horrible kind of portable lavatory.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This unfortunate translation was prominently displayed at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris:
IMG_20170516_19321.jpg

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can use cosmetics bag, don't forget the s.

GS is right, don't use toilet bag.

I know of vanity box but not vanity case. Other women on this forum might have a better insight.

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Vanity bag" sounds very old-fashioned to me.
When I go away somewhere, I take a "washbag" with me, containing toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, moisturiser, shower gel, razor and comb.
If I used makeup, I'd probably take it in a "makeup bag" or "cosmetics bag". These days, my makeup consists of a black eyeliner and some lip gloss - I just shove them in my pockets.
When I was a teenager, I had a "makeup box" that looked a bit like this (except mine was all silver, not pink).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This unfortunate translation was prominently displayed at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris:
View attachment 2609
For those who haven't looked at the photo, let me say that you really shouldn't tell an American* you have your bathroom in a bag.

*Thanks, ems.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, it makes perfect sense and isn't at all unfortunate. It simply shows that you can fit all the vital things you normally keep in your bathroom into a single, small bag. A BrE speaker wouldn't look at it twice.
The only thing they got wrong is that they put a space before the exclamation mark.

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
When I go away somewhere, I take a "washbag" with me, containing toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, moisturiser, shower gel, razor and comb.
Can it be also called a "sponge bag"? If it can be called like that, is that a common word?

Status
Not open for further replies.